How old is too old to work?

I realize that older people need to work to supplement their social security or to get medical insurance, but there comes a time to hang up your hat. We have several “I'll call elderly" people working in our retail store. They're over 75 and only work 2-3 days a week. They're hard of hearing and very slow, I feel for them but I also feel they should retire and make room for younger folks, your opinions...

Kathy675

Asked by Kathy675 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would rather work at 85 than sit on my ass at home fiddling my fingers. Young people need to make room for themselves, not dig an early grave for our grandparents and parents so that we could take thier place.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I think that as long as you can keep up you should still work. My grandmother works Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun nights every week. Two 8 hour shifts and two 12 hours shifts. All nights.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I think it is better for them to stay active as long as they can. Unlike my mil who is 77 worked only when she wanted something extra for herself. Now in our home sitting in front of our tv all day watching the food network! Complaining how broke she is, not wanting to leave the house because she hasn't had her hair or nails professionally done! She wants everything to be done for her! Oh how I wish there was a place for her to get a JOB in her hometown!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 12:52 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Oceanside Cali? I have never heard of bi-mart. I really hope to be sending her back sooner rather than later!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 1:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• That's great, I applaud her, I wish ours could keep up, literally
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 12:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• @noosa, send her to Bi-Mart, they'll hire her :) She can be a cashier lol
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'm so glad I don't have to walk in your shoes. My mil hates me, lol I took her son away from her! After 27 yrs of marriage she can have him back, lol
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 1:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Well these days ..we will see alot of ppl not retiring early because of this economy and maybe they still need to catch up on some funds your know.....it also depends on the trade/profession-if they can keep up and be on point then yes they should be there but for example;if the job requires you pick up 7lbs but you can only handle 2lbs..this dont mean they shouldnt be there but they may need to get into something else to do around there..
    Ive had elderly co-workers that didnt clean themselves..but you have to think how ud want someone to except u if you were in that position...hard but life is soooo tuff !!! :)
    mommyomg247

Answer by mommyomg247 at 4:19 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I think it is up to individual person.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Unfortunately, that's what happens when you're poor. You keep on working until you die.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2011