At what age do you teach them how to call 911?

I saw part of a new story where a 3 year old called 911 when his father couldn't. So what is a good age to teach them that? Unless I'm holding the phone I don't allow my kids to touch my phone. Mine are 3 and 4 and like pushing the buttons just for the sounds. They have their own play phones for that not the house phone.

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• It just dawned on me. It is not as easy for a very young child to use an iphone to call 911. Things have to be pushed and slid. There are not just three identifiable numbers to push and wait. I wonder if this is a problem.
    My 4 year old uses the iphone for her games but I have not taught her how to use it for calling and she is not interested.
    I have never heard this discussed.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:48 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• i havent tot my daughter how to call 911 yet and she is 3 she is very smart though we are teaching her what city and state she lives in.. and maybe that will be next but she doesnt know what numbers are yet
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 12:50 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I taught my kids about 911 and even had them practice dial and talk to the operator. I did it as soon as they could consistently know their numbers. They are 6 and 7 now. I have an android touch screen that is not very easy to navigate so I went ahead and got another phone line with a cheap phone that is easy to dial just in case something happens. The other phone is kind of our "house phone" and never leaves its charger.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My daughter knows and she's six. I just recently bought a droid x and I've let her play with the phone to familiarize herself with my phone. I've also explained to her that 911 is for EMERGENCIES ONLY that mommy can get in a lot of trouble if she calls and it's not an emergency. Plus I have my ICE (in case of an emergency) contacts are in place and they are at the top of my phones contact list.

By our house phone I have

911 Emergency Only
    555-5555 Local Police Dept
    555-5555 Local Fire Department
    555-5555 Grandma's House
    555-5555 Grandma's Cell
    555-5555 Step Dad's Cell
    555-5555 Mommy's Cell

Just some suggestions for you. I think three is early enough. Just don't pound it on them try with songs and indirect approaches you'll be surprise how fast they pick it up, just when you least expect it.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 1:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• my 8 year old had a list at the age 3 but 911 was in red and i told her that was for help she never called anyone unless she asked me like her mamas and stuff
    gergoryfam03

Answer by gergoryfam03 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2011