What did you tell you daughter her privates were called? What did you tell her? At what age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• We called it her peepee until a few months ago (she just turned 4). We were watching TV and some commercial came on and \they used the word vagina. I think it was a yeast infection med commercial, lol. She asked what it was, so I explained, and that was that. She was very proud of herself and as soon as DH came home she told him that the grownup word for his peepee was penis. It was cute, lol.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 12:52 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• We call it a coochie but they know the correct words and we have always talked about it. They know boys correct parts also. We talk about it once a year or so and have since they were born. This way the talks can increase in severity but not in embarrassment.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:52 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• The real name of body parts is used with the child. There is no big change. The only part that has a cutesy name is Buns, Butt, Bottom, Backside.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• my dd and i just refer to her "privates".... which was hilarious when she started asking everyone if they wanted to watch her "Privates of the Cawibbean"...
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 6:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• By my daughter's first birthday, she knew that she had a vulva and a vagina. Sadly, many adult women don't know the difference between a vagina and vulva

Answer by rkoloms at 6:20 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I taught my kids the correct words Vagina & Penis. However It seems like other kids parents at the daycare don't teach their kids the correct word. so when my son corrected a boy that was using a different word, I think he called it his dingy, but all the kids thought it was hillarious that my son said penis and he did get in trouble saying it when he should not have been. But I talked to him about how that's private & other kids are taught other words sometimes but he shouldn't think it's funny or go along with them saying Penis just because they think it's funny. It wouldn't be so funny if other people would just tell their children the truth & that it's a private thing.
    jfblaine83

Answer by jfblaine83 at 7:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• her girl. now she knows the real terms.
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 9:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Both my kids know what the correct term is but we use "whowho" for my daughter and "goobies" for my son. We started doing that when they were 2 becasue when they said penis or vagina it would get reactions out of people at the store and they thought it was so funny. We couldnt get them to stop so we had to make a change and explained that when out in public they use "whowho" and "goobies" when at home they can use anything they want. They use "boobies" no matter where they are but were taught they have to say it quietly or not at all in public.
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 1:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• all my children know the proper names for their parts. for my girls its a vagina cus that is what it is and my boys its a penis again cus that is what it is. you wouldn't make up a funny name for their arms or any other body part why make up a name for those? jmo.
    tanper29

Answer by tanper29 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2011