To Spank or not to Spank ?

Do you think spanking is the right way to disapline a child?

mom2hailie

Asked by mom2hailie at 3:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• I spank
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I spank (rarely), my mom spanked me, my grandma spanked her, etc. I think it works
    Anonymous

• I tend to use spanking as a last ditch effort. I do more of a tap, only on the butt, just to let him know I am serious, but not enough to hurt him. Also spank for the purpose of discipline, never out of anger. Each child responds differently to each method. Play around and find one that works for you, then be consistent when you do find one. Don't let anyone tell you that you feel is right is wrong. So long as you aren't hurting your child and it isn't a blanket response to every problem, spanking can be very effective for some children.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I think it depends. I rarely spanked my children because I never felt that they did anything that was so bad they needed to be spanked. I also felt hypocritical if I spanked them for fighting and hitting each other, which is mostly why my children would get in trouble. If they were not listening or something like that I usually did time outs. We also have a bad penny system and a rewards system.

I used to tap their hands when they were little.

In the end you have to do what you are comfortable with.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:06 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I think you need to find what works for you and your child. There is a right way and a wrong way to spank. Look into it further if this is your choice. I spank. I spanked my kids rarely for important matters. I have some amazing kids. Good luck in finding what works for you. I did want to add, I haven't had to spank my kids in years. They are 9,11, 13.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:22 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• depends on the situation but i do spank. she's kind of young so at the moment time out works better than anything else.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 8:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I spank at any age of the kid or kids.
    cloverlady2008

Answer by cloverlady2008 at 8:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I spank on occasion, but to be honest, my daughter is one of the few kids that really doesn't respond much to it. When I was spanked as a child I thought that was the most horrible punishment in the world...my daughter could care less...she thinks the corner is the worst punishment. I'm sure its different for every child, so I will do what works with every child, spanking or not.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I think it depends on the offense. My kids get spank when they need it but it is after there have been other consequences...
    mommyweisha

Answer by mommyweisha at 8:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Nope. I wasn't spanked as I child. My DH wasn't either. We agreed early on spanking was not the discipline method we would use no matter what Trevor did.
    TrevorsMommy03

Answer by TrevorsMommy03 at 9:13 AM on Nov. 15, 2008