• In the Spotlight:

I have a 6 week old son and got to were formula wasn't filling him up, so I put him on cereal. He is getting to were he doesn't want formula anymore, what should I do?

mrstharris06

Asked by mrstharris06 at 3:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should not give him cereal!! thats way to young for cereal.

talk to your pediatrician about other ways to fill him up if formula is not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• He only gets cereal 3 times a day and it is not that much. He is just getting to were he wants it all the time.
    mrstharris06

Answer by mrstharris06 at 3:48 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• his digestive system is not FULLY developed though. you shouldn't give that to him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Maybe he is having a growth spurt. Babies have growth spurts at 6 weeks, 9, weeks, 12 weeks, and 4 months... at least! They are preparing to do some heavy duty growing, so they eat and eat and eat surprising amounts, then they sleep for longer than you are used to.

His gut is too immature for cereal. You are introducing flora that will intestines forever! Maybe he just needs to suck. I don't formula feed, but I do notice that my babies aren't eating when they nurse. They just move their jaws up and down with a slight sucking.

Until you talk to your pediatrician, just keep formula feeding him when he's hungry. You also don't want to overfeed him, so talk to the doctor. But don't give your baby cereal. That's a bad idea. Good Luck.
    schleppermom

Answer by schleppermom at 3:54 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• That was supposed to read "You are introducing flora that will damage his intestines forever!" This is not to scare you. I'm not attacking you. I understand that it sounds a little harsh. But cereal is for babies who have a more developed digestive system.
    schleppermom

Answer by schleppermom at 3:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My 4 month old doesn't even get cereal 3x a day. Your baby is way too young for that. You need to consult your pediatrician
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Thank you schleppermom for not insulting me. I am a single mother and this is my first child, and I am just doing what somebody else told me to do. Now that I know that it could damage his intestines, I will stop feeding him cereal. Can you tell me some other things to do? His insurance does not start until December 1st and I cannot afford to take him to the doctor right now.
    mrstharris06

Answer by mrstharris06 at 4:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• You should NOT be giving a baby that small cereal AT ALL. He is way too young for that. You need to just continue with the formula and give him more of that if it isn't filling him up.
    mbee

Answer by mbee at 5:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• OH WOW! It's okay!! You are not harming your baby giving him cereal hon! I am a mother of 4 and my kids are now 23, 19, 6 & 3. My 23 yr old son was put on cereal IN THE HOSPITAL by the pedi because formula would not fill him up!! My 19 yo started as soon as we got home from the hospital and my youngest 2 were the same way! I cannot believe that everyone is being so against it! WOW!

I come from the old school I guess and I do have 4 HEALTHY kids to show for it! As long as the cereal is runny and he's not having any tummy troubles....he's fine!
    bagjmama

Answer by bagjmama at 6:48 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I put my son on cereal after we found he had the colic(around 2 months). The doctor changed his formula and told me to add cereal. I agree with bagimama, as long as it really runny, he will be okay. My son is 15 months now and very healthy. He also is a wonderful eatter.

Everyone from my grandmother to my sister told me to add cereal the min he came home.
    jake2007

Answer by jake2007 at 7:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2008