What is the best way to encourage my 6 yr old to read and help her love it?

parajumper3

Asked by parajumper3 at 1:18 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's early for her to be a Big Reader~ in time it will come...

You can read to her and go to the library, pick out several. Read them together often.

You set the example~ she will follow if she has passion in her for this.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:26 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• First, I think that she has to see you read, and read and read. And read to her nightly.
    I think it's important to find out what her interests are and read books about that.

You could also make books (by hand or on your computer), using her name and the words she knows how to read and spell. For instance "I an looking for a friend" said Mary. "Oh, look! Here is a friend. We can swim in the pool. We can climb a tree"... you get the idea. You could put pictures of her in them, and encourage her to read/share them with friends and family.
    ItsJules

Answer by ItsJules at 1:37 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Spend quiet loving time reading with her. Read to her. Let her see you reading regularly. Don't forgo real books for the internet.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:19 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Are their shows that she like to watch during TV time? Example my 6 yr old likes to watch Dora, Handy Manny, Wonder pets try going to the school book fair or go to www2.scholastic.com and they have book for every reading level with their favorive characters.
    Ash414

Answer by Ash414 at 5:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Best tool in your arsenal? You. Set the example. Let her see you read. Talk about reading as an enjoyable hobby. Take a trip to the library or the book store. Let her pick out what appeals to her. Go ahead and find an age appropriate book that's above her reading ability level. That becomes your special together-time book. Read a chapter a night or something. Let her try to read some of it to you. You read the balance to her. When my two were first learning to read we did this with books like Wind in the Willows, Stuart Little, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I am an avid reader. Some of my best childhood memories center around my parents and books. My dad would read me a chapter a night from a classic book. We'd spend long hours at a discount book store combing the stacks together. Reading, for me, became a warm fuzzy because it was a special thing I did with my Dad (and my mom...but my dad's the more voracious reader)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• (continued) Encourage your daughter to write her own stories. Let her illustrate them and dictate the text if she's not ready to write the sentences herself. There are "Make your own" companies that will "publish" a child's book for them in sort cover or hard cover format. My son's favorite book is the one he made himself. ;) Don't get pigeonholed into thinking reading is just about stories. Encourage her to read in many different formats. Find a kid's cookbook - help her read the recipes and then create something of her choosing. Read the Sunday comics. What activities does she like? Hobbies? Find books or tip sheets on those and help her read them. Your goal is to connect reading with good experiences.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Take her to the library, find a big chair in the children's area and let her pick whatever book she likes, then sit down and read it to her!

Next, print out a list of dolch sight word lists, pre primer or primer lists and work on teaching her one or two words every night from that list. As she learns the words, you can ask her to start finding them in the books you read to her.

Another thing that is fun, get bathtub crayons and every night write one word on the tub, and then have her write it over and over, as much as she likes until it is in her memory.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2011