My sick baby :(

You are supposed to add 1 degree with an underarm thermometer right? I hate this...my son has only been really sick a handful of times in his 4 years. He has had a cold for about a week now, but nothing else. It was finally better, hadn't heard much for 2 days. We went out to dinner last night and no sooner had we gotten in the resturant and he started coughing hard again! This morning he took some more cough medicing and within 10 minutes was puking it up! So I have tried to keep him laying down and drinking water. He fell asleep at about 1230, he doesn't take naps anymore, and is still sleeping (almost 330 here). So this is going on a 3 hour nap!! I took his temp. earlier and it was 100.2 (so adding 1 101.2), he felt hotter just a minute ago while he was sleeping and it was up a little 100.6 (101.6). Is that normal? I mean, for a temp to go while they sleep? And when should I think about taking him into the hospital? Like I said, he has never really been sick, only twice that I can recall that was worse then a little cold :(

ILoveCade

Asked by ILoveCade at 1:21 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• Keep it cool in the house. Do not wrap in blankets. The sleeping helps them heal and fight infection.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:24 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• yes you add a degree. And 101 is a but high for sleeping. I wouldnt rush him to er unless he is haviin other problems. They sell these things called be cool its a patch thing. I use them on my son that way i bring his fever down no medicine needed. Good luck mama
    Pink_caffiene

Answer by Pink_caffiene at 1:26 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I think it's fine b/c...well hey just go ahead and go on google.com or call your doc. I know there are 24 hr hotlines that have nurses ready to answer questions. Good Luck and I hope he feels better soon just keep him hydrated for sure!
    ohgoshism

Answer by ohgoshism at 1:29 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• sounds like he might have an ear infection from the cold. he should not be spiking a few 2-3 days after cold symptoms. he needs to be checked by a doctor.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 9:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• hows your son doing?
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2011