How long is too long?

My dear mom (74 yrs old) stubborn as heck and was raised poor has a bad habit of saving food way too long in the fridge. How long, for example can fast food be "saved" in the fridge? or say rotisserie chicken, salsa, etc. be saved in fridge. I have poked in her fridge and found VERY old stuff in there and when I throw it out she gets mad at me! Any info, insight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I'm having this same problem with my mom and stepdad. They'll keep fast food hamburgers until they're ROCK FRIGGIN HARD. Now I know for a fact that they don't taste good when they're that old, I've tried reheating one of their rockburgers, and it was just plain unedible. Gross. Blah.

I'd say if you don't eat it by the next day, throw it out. It's just going to take up space and smell up the fridge.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:08 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• You will probably have to put up with her getting mad. I am sure she is set in her ways and no changing that now. Question, why is it bothering you all of a sudden? Was she not like this when you were growing up?
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 4:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Because my brother and his wife moved in with her recently and they are noticing that she prefers to reheat 3 day old food rather then eat what they just cooked and they bi*&^ about it all the time so thought I would ask. It's not "bothering me all of a sudden", it has always bothered me but as long as I see she's not eating something rotten then I leave her be. When I was growing up there were 5 kids and we ate up everything before it went bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Sounds like your brother and his wife are being wasteful (in her opinion) and she's trying to lead by example. Most foods can be refrigerated and reheated up to 3 days, some up to 5 days.

It's wasteful in the extreme to have food and just throw it away.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 10:18 AM on Nov. 15, 2008