No Decorating Style

We just bought our house in November, and we're pretty young so everything we have is hand-me-downs. I feel like my house has no "WOW" factor and no decorating style. I want my house to be warmy and cozy! Any blogs or websites for a newbie like me!? Thanks!

staceybelly9

Asked by staceybelly9 at 2:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Home & Garden

• hi there...i didnt check out your profile to see where you are..you can go to dollar tree-they have stuff you can put on your wall..family dollar has some stuff too...good will also...we all know walmart has some stuff but be carfeful can be costly there!!
    mommyomg247

Answer by mommyomg247 at 3:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Congrats homeowners. :) Would you mind posting some pics and a budget, and what colors/styles you two jointly like? That'd be helpful in making some suggestions.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 4:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Congratulations! First, decide what you like (colors, "mood," etc.). Second, go to websites like HGTV.com and get an idea of how you want your home to look, print pictures so you have a roadmap of sorts to follow. It takes time - don't feel like you have to get everything done "today" - get a feel for the home and your lifestyle. My style is laid back and casual, I've found a lot of inspiration from the Pottery Barn and Ballard Designs. I don't always get my pieces from them, but I can usually find a similar item that works the same way. Best of luck and enjoy!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:13 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Shermin William to get coupons for pain, cabints-to-go have some great deals, www.surplusdecor.com, www.efaucets.com, allnewbath.com, www.signaturehardware.com, www.doitbest.com just a few places to look.
    Ash414

Answer by Ash414 at 5:40 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Like ladymomtraveler said, find styles that you both like. Color is the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to change any room. Find restaurants that you enjoy going to and look at their color scheme. Restaurants tend to lead the trend in decorating. For example, if your favorite restaurant is decorated in browns and blues and you enjoy eating there you may want to do a room in a similar color pallet. Check with craigslist for furniture. We bought a barely used Ethan Allen dining table and chairs in a MIssion style that we both liked for very little money. Start slow. Buy good pieces, cheap stuff doesn't hold up and you end up spending more in the end to replace it.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 6:39 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I felt the same way when we bought our first house. I held off on doing any decorating until I'd spent a few months watching lots and lots of HGTV and Trading Spaces (which was THE hot show at the time, lol). Only then was I able to get a feel for what my style was and how I could achieve it in our home. Don't do anything until you've given yourself some time to learn.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:38 AM on Jan. 31, 2011