where do you stand?

I'm on the fence...are you?
Does anyone think it's immoral to take fertility drugs to get pregnant?
A friend of mine and I were debating this and I see both sides. For the parents, I know how wonderful pregnancy and motherhood can be. It would be AWFUL to be infertile or to try for years with no success.

On the flip side of that, fertility drugs can overstimulate reproduction and couples often find themselves with multiples. This can cause much strain on the environment and the world's resources. Other countries put restrictions on the number of children a couple can have. Americans promote large families, even doing it artificially.

Where do you stand? This is an interesting topic to me.

MammaMia72

Asked by MammaMia72 at 4:18 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Just for Fun

• My first hand knowledge from my sons Godmother who is a devout Catholic, Catechism teacher, mentor and mom to 5 is this. She tried to get pregnant for years and finally had to take fertility drugs. She got pregnant and yes 4 more times and she is the epitamy (sp) of what a mother should be and then some. She does this while being diabetic and having such a solid family.One of her children was born ADHD bi-polar, manic depressive. This woman is so into her family that I even admire her. She was meant to have children but was unable to naturally, others are not meant to be moms but they get prgnant at the drop of a hat. Go Figure!!!!!!!!! No it is not immoral.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I don't think it is immoral to run the risk of multiples by taking fertility treatments, especially considering the couples who are struggling with fertility probably don't have any children of their own yet...Even if they had twins or triplets, I don't think 2 or 3 children is "too much" on the environment or anything. Now, if they repeatedly did it, maybe? But definitely not the first time.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• It's not even close to immoral.

Mathematically, the probability of having multiples is not as high as the probability of having a singleton while using fertility treatments. Only 10 percent of the women who use clomid have multiples - AND, i might add, the vast majority of those are twins. Zero population growth is responsible, environmentally speaking, and presuming these parents don't have other children then even a set of twins is zero population growth!

It's not negative population growth, which would be even better (environmentally speaking) but we don't chastise families who have two kids from singleton births and accuse them of wreaking havok on our natural resources (unless the little brats are throwing their juice boxes into the grass in a national park, or something like that).
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 10:11 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• "(unless the little brats are throwing their juice boxes into the grass in a national park, or something like that)."

haha..amen sister!!!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I don't see anything immoral about it at all. It gets into a more gray area when they are implanting large numbers of embryos intending to reduce the number if necessary, but just taking the drugs isn't at all immoral in any way I can fathom. It is important not to lump everything together when thinking about these issues. And, we really don't want to go there about limiting family size do we? What is more scary than that? Individuals/couples shouldn't have more kids than they can responsibly handle and support, but we don't want to consider anything mandatory do we?
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• it is not immoral at all. yes some find themselves with multiples but most of them usually have more than one kid anyway. i had to take clomid to get prego and didn't think twice about it.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 6:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• There is nothing wrong with it, screw the enviorment that is not a reason to not have kids, there are factors ruining it that we cant fix or help, but having a child is our right as humans, as living beings and that is why we are here, so who chares if you get more than one you shouldnt have to go thur life missing out for some silly reason.
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2008