Interview

Hi. I left my job after 3 months ,,my boss was terrible to me .....moral in office was bad and HR asked me to observe any "wrong doings" and report back well i did and it back fired . I have an interview today and the women who got me the interview ask id be totally honest and mention the other job..what would you say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Money & Work

• Well they tell you in an interview never to speak badly of a previous employer, so I'd try to be positive. Good luck.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would say something like, the last job was not the right fit for my personality. While I excelled in x,y,z, I was unable to realize a, b, and c to my fullest potential. I have a strong work ethic, and the unfortunate part of this particular job was that I was required to aid people in ways that violated my work ethic beliefs, and inhibited me from realizing my fullest potential. I have heard that this job (your new one) has an excellent rappore, and works hard to build strong interoffice relationships. I am looking forward to working at this job not only because x,y,z but also because of the work environment.

I would only say the above if it fit your situation and was true, of course.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 6:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would mention it as something like the circumstances weren't ideal at the time. I wouldn't go into details and she really doesn't need to know anyway, if she really wants to get the inside story, she can call your former boss and find out. Just say you'd rather leave it at that and continue on with interview for the new job.
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 6:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Never make a negative comments about a former employer. You don't need to say anything more than: "I was downsized"

Good luck with the interview, and be sure to send thank you notes to everyone you meet with, as soon as you get home

Answer by rkoloms at 6:05 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It sounds like you have a whistleblower defense to the job you left, if indeed you were fired for that reason.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2011