Mothers with Autistic kids...

what age was your child diagnosed?? did you see any warning signs before your child was diagnosed?? any information is welcome..thank you ladys =)

JplusAequalsP

Asked by JplusAequalsP at 5:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was diagnosed at 3 1/2. I had a feeling somethign was wrong. The only developmental milestones he hit on time was the ones dealing with eating. At that time, I lived in a very rural area and I wasn't taking him to a pediatrician, but to a General Practicioner. The GP felt that his delays could have been due to the fact that he was born a bit premature. But when it became evident that he didn't understand what we were saying and that the speech he used was only him repeating things he heard, I kept pushing and eventually he was tested.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:37 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Mine was between 5 and 6 yrs old. I noticed problems early on but they werent able to diagnose until he was in school. He had speech delay, in a big way. In kinder he had problems learning like other kids, was immature in class, and did not cope well with any sort of change.

Answer by gemgem at 8:05 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My stepson was diagnosed at 2. Initially, they thought he was deaf because he just didn't respond to things going on around him. He didnt' have age-appropriate muscle coordination, didn't speak, and had frequent melt-downs (not tantrums). They did the hearing test, he passed with flying colors. They then went to a neurologist, who diagnosed him with autism. I believe they were able to diagnose at a young age because of the severity of his autism.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:18 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Thank You guys....for your feed back =)...my son who is 2 is having his first evaluation this thursday coming up so im kinda nervous about it.....i will keep you guys informed on anything..once again thank you
    JplusAequalsP

Comment by JplusAequalsP (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011