Tropic Thunder boycotted over this????

Ok, i just got done watching Tropic Thunder. I saw half nekkid women, a white man acting black, homosexuality, blood, violence, blatant sexual themes, drug addiction and a baby being thrown off a bridge.. Was it boycotted for any of those reasons? NO IT WAS BOYCOTTED BECAUSE THEY SAID "RETARDED"!!! So are all of the above acceptable now {violence to children is a big thing for me} but saying "retarded" is like burning a bible?
After knowing what all is in the movie i have to ask-are these people on crack???? Why ban a movie over something so stupid and not any real issues like the violence, to/by children it portrayed?

chyna_doll

Asked by chyna_doll at 4:21 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Entertainment

• It is a funny movie, and the word is not used to disparage mentally handicapped people but rather as a way to show the vanity and cluelessness of Hollywood. If anyone should have been insulted by this movie, it would be the Studios in Hollywood and the actors they pay millions to. THAT is who was made fun of, not mentally handicapped people or any other "group".
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• That word is a slur. Just like in the past people threw the n word around without thinking it was a big deal. That word is offensive and should never be used in the manner it was in that movie.  The boycott called people's attention to that fact.  Many people still throw that word around and it offends anyone with a mentally handicapped child and many others.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• The only thing the boycott called attention to was the complete idiocy of some people.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 11:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• the word was used as a slur 1-2 times in the entire movie. The rest it was describing movie characters other have played.

i agree jespeach....
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 12:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i have a handicapped kid and it doesn't offend me...don't throw us all into one idiot group.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 12:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• wow .. lol honey you just listed off everything that is in just about every movie these days ... lol and i havent heard a thing about it being boycotted ...
    Anonymous

• It is a very offensive word that people throw around with out thinking . It was a start. Black people had to take a stand on the "N" word. Homosexuals had to take a stand on the "F" word. So now the FAMILIES of those who are labeled MR have to use their voice to stand up for the only group of people who cannot stand up for themselves-unless you have a child who is mentally retarded I don't expect you to understand how cuts like a knife when I hear it out of context.
    Anonymous

• of course, no one can ever understand something when they don't experience it...unfortunately for most, i speak form experience and it does not cut me in any way because i refuse to give a word such negative power over myself or my family.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 10:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i knew it was boycotted because of that, but because of your description of the movie, it is now on my "note to self-dont ever see this" list! :)
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 1:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Never wanted to see it anyway, but definitely wont now.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 11:29 AM on Nov. 16, 2008