Breathlessness/heart racing?

I am 33 weeks and this is my 2nd pregnancy. After I went to bed tonight, I lay there for an hour feeling like my heart was racing and I was having trouble taking a deep breath...even stretching my arms over my head didn't help. I kept feeling my pulse and it didn't feel particularly fast, but in my chest I had that flippy-fluttery heart palpitation feeling. It won't go away unless I am sitting up straight, and the feeling is enough to make me feel sick and panicky. Any thoughts? :( :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes i had the SAME exact thing and i pretty sure it's Braxton Hicks contractions i was like what the???! thats what my doctor told me it was..does it happen all the time and continue happening or just here and there?
    numbi

Answer by numbi at 5:05 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I couldn't say if there's any regularity to it, but it does stop and then start again. Like I'll think it went away, and then it will just start up all over again. :-/ Maybe it really does have something to do with the BH! I've been having a TON of them today.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Oh and I should add that I've never really felt it until tonight, so it hasn't been happening a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Yep thats what it sounds like there just getting stronger it was so hard for me to breathe but ya know check with your doctor just incase but i really don't think it's anything bad just BH :)
    numbi

Answer by numbi at 5:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Thanks! I will mention it to my doc at my appt next week. I'm sure you're right - and maybe now that I've reassured myself it's nothing serious, I can actually get some sleep! haha
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I have the same thing! I actually went to the ER when I was prego with my daughter because of it. Then my doc sent me to a cardiologist. Here's what mine felt like....my heart was racing and it felt like my heart was skipping a beat. The racing heart rate is called tachycardia which they can't do anything for, they'll just tell you to avoid caffeine. The heart feeling like it was skipping a beat in my case was an ectopic heart beat....my heart had extra beats that weren't supposed to be there. And this is another thing they can't do anything about.
    I would def call your doc, especially if you're having trouble breathing I'd call ASAP, just to be on the safe side. But it's probably nothing serious. I actually know others who have similar problems. Best of luck!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• it sounds like anxiety. Are you worried or stressed?
    deedlinz

Answer by deedlinz at 11:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2008