How many hours does your toddler sleep a night? And naps?

My Son is going to be 2 in March. He sleeps maybe an hour for a nap, and between 6-8 hrs at night. He's active all day, and he eats pretty good sized meals, but I can't get him to sleep longer than probably 9 hrs (weekend) unless he's sick. Sometimes he squeezes his eyes shut tight, and actually fake snores (hwa-shoo noise) for a minute...and then says "Too Hard" if he can't fall to sleep...Suggestions?

ladymomtraveler

Asked by ladymomtraveler at 7:31 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd start putting him to bed earlier. If the envirnment is quiet and soothing he's likely to fall asleep. My twins sleep 10 hours at night and take a 2 hour nap. Kids need sleep. 6 hours at night is not good for a toddler.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:43 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Is he groggy or irritable during the day? I mean if he's not showing any signs of lack of sleep, he might actually be getting enough sleep, every child is different. My son is 17 months, and he sleeps usually 12 hours a night with about a 1-2 hour after lunchtime.
    * Does your child fall asleep almost every time he's in a car?
    * Do you have to wake your child almost every morning?
    * Does your child seem cranky, irritable, or overtired during the day?
    * On some nights, does your child seem to crash much earlier than his usual bedtime?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Mommy_Jules....Good questions.
    -He is not cranky or not unless he got under 6 hrs, or only 6 hrs for several nights in a row. When he was younger he would fall asleep in the car, but now he will only fall asleep in the car if it's right around his nap time (usually falls somewhere between the hours of 12 and 2pm).
    - I do have to wake him every morning, but that's because we have to take him to daycare, and I have to get him dressed. He doesn't seem to mind, and will say "good morning mommy" when I wake him.
    -If he crashes earlier than usual (seriously around 9 or 10pm), then he's not feeling well. It's more likely that he will try to stay up later than usual, and try to do something new, or say some new words or sentences before he will even consider going to bed.
    For example, right now he's trying to catch my nose with training chopsticks. (He's loving it, but it's 10:30pm). We'll be waking him up at 5:30 am tomorrow.
    ladymomtraveler

Comment by ladymomtraveler (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2011