high maintenance 5 yr old princess??? or just girly girl?? you tell me

my daughter loves all things girly , if she were allowed to she would walk around in heels with a face full of makeup! Sometimes i wonder if its normal or is she showing true signs of a diva. She refers to herself as barbie and enjoys watching making and hair tutorials on youtube with me. Im not going to lie being a total girly girl myself i think its cute but i cant help thinking if shes like this now , how will she act when shes 12?? She constantly tries to mimic things i do and tells me she wants to be like me , maybe she just looks up to me which i know is normal but at times i cant believe shes only 5! I mean she'll look at a woman and say "mommy i dont like her outfit or eww she's not pretty", now she doesnt hear me saying things like that about people. Everywhere she turns people are saying how beautiful she is, if you told her she was ugly she would just brush you off with a "yeah right!" , unbelieavable! Anyone else going through this or similar?

MsBrazil86

Asked by MsBrazil86 at 8:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• My 5 yr old is alot the same but I know its because everyone tells her she is gorgeous. She is on cheerleading as well and they have a mix of 5-12 yr olds on the team so the older girls take her under their wing and she is older sometimes in her thinking because of that. My friends dd is 8 and the same way. She never wears her hair the same to school twice.
    I am girly myself, so I know she learns her girl behavior from me and her older sister who is 22 too. I just try and keep her grounded by making her also play other sports like softball and play in the dirt like other kids. A balance is all you need to introduce.

Answer by gemgem at 8:15 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I am not a girly girl myself. My 6 yr. old loves shoes, and if she has a full dresser drawer, it is just a challenge for her. She will change her clothes every 5 minutes if I let her. I don't see anything wrong with them being princesses. The part that would concern me is the talking about others. Being judgmental isn't a good idea. I would just tell her when she does it that its not nice and how would she feel if that person heard her or if someone said that about her and meant it. Good luck
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 8:15 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My DD was the same (still is, to an extent and she's 11). I wouldn't put up with her saying that other people aren't pretty though, it's just not nice.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• good point gemgem
    san78

Answer by san78 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• all i have to say is that is so cute... i have a boy and pregnant with well i don't know what yet but if a girl that would be so fun to see her go through that. but i'm sure she wont say mean things about others... if you don't she wont.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My DD is just like that! Always wants to wear my clothes, dressup, make-up, jewelry, the whole deal. I think it is the cutest thing in the world! It's normal for my DD, she has been a perfect precious princess since day one, and the more she has grown, the more you can tell.
    I don't really care if it's normal. My DD knows she is gorgeous and a princess, loves everything that has to do with that... She even calls her room the princess room. I love having my girlie girl <3
    I know that not all mummies to girls, get a princess. I'm lucky and happy I did!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• wearing crowni think it is very cute, as long as she doesn't bully other people i see no problem. she points out to u that someone is ugly;;;no big deal imo, she is saying what someone else is thinking that's all. she is 5 but she is not blind. as long as she does not say it to the person all is good.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My DD is 2 and she is just now getting into dress up and having her nails painted, etc. I am happy she is interested in these girlie things but I also want to keep her other interests alive- she is very active and loves to play outside and try new things. What I don't want is for her to grow up feeling like her only value is that she is pretty. It's great when someone tells her how pretty or cute she is, but I also want people to tell her she is smart, or funny, or kind. And I don't want her to judge other people based on their appearance alone. If she is pretty and a mean, nasty little girl then I have not done a very good job. Pretty doesn't always last, and is only skin deep, so I want her to base her self-worth and self-esteem (as well as her opinions of others) on much more than looks.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2011