Going to try BF again adult content

With my Dd I breastfed for under a month and hated it. But I wasn't that educated and I had no patience with it. But now I am 35 weeks pg and really want to try to make it work with this one. Can any of you ladies give me ideas/tips to help it go by smoother? lol, nobody I know bf. When I breastfed dd it hurt so bad, my nipples would turn purple. Do they make special creams that help with that (the pain)?

Sorry so long, but I could use the advice.
TIA

armywife009

Asked by armywife009 at 8:16 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They do make creams for your nipples. I was always told that, that breastfeeding shouldn't be painful, if it is they are not latching on properly. The hospital where I delivered had a breastfeeding specialist (I'm not sure what they called her). She would actually come in kinda like coach/teach you how to breastfeed. They also have one at my son's pediatrician. I think it would be a good idea to discuss this with your ob/gyn, he/she should be able to refer you to someone who could better help you with this.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:33 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Lanolin willhelp a lot with the pain.
    http://www.apeainthepod.com/product.asp?Product_Id=102010363&MasterCategory_Id=MC29&Media=FroogleDataFeed_09_2010

Also, I used to have these reusable gel pads that were a life saver.
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Breast-Feeding/Soothies-Gel-Pads-For-Breastfeeding-Mothers/ID=prod6028772-product?V=G&ec=frgl_&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku6027401

I gave up on BF at about 1 month as well, but it was more because my breasts gave up on me. The milk stopped coming out as much, no matter how much I pumped. I wish I could've done it for longer.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I think that is what was wrong with my dd, was she wasn't latching properly and I was kind of embarrassed to talk to the doctor. I also had issues with 'innies', but don't have that problem anymore. Thanks! I have an appointment with my midwife tomorrow and I will probably discuss it with her. I just don't want to sound stupid, lol.
    armywife009

Comment by armywife009 (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Thank you for the links! :)
    armywife009

Comment by armywife009 (original poster) at 8:38 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• You won't sound stupid. You sound like a caring mother, who wants the best for her child.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:46 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" is the best breastfeeding resource I've ever found. It really encouraged me and helped me so much with breastfeeding. You'll do better this time around because you're ore prepared and you realize going in that it isn't easy. I was shocked with my first that it wasn't as easy as I assumed it would be. It didn't seem too complex to me then, I now realize I didn't know much. What helped me was short goals. I didn't go into it saying, "I'm going to make it to one year breastfeeding." I always said, "We'll do this for as long as it works for us." I wouldn't let myself quit breastfeeding without first consulting the pediatrician. So, that gave me short goals. I need to make it to her appointment next week. Within a week, whatever issue I was having the previous week was solved. My first was definitely the most difficult breastfeeding experience I had, but I pressed on. You can too.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 9:53 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Use lanolin cream for sore nipples. The brand name is Lansinoh, but the store brands are just as good and less expensive. You can get it at Wal-mart or any drugstore.

When you are in the hospital, get the nurses and the lactation consultant to help you. Also. www.kellymom.com has a lot of info for breastfeeding mothers.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:39 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• La Leche League. Find one in your area. Lansinoh ointment which is essentially lanolin will help alot. Sounds like you had a latch issue. Baby's lips should form a soft V shape when latched properly. Make sure you get most of the areola in the baby's mouth, as that's where the milk ducts are. Good Luck!!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2011