In the age of internet, is spelling a dying art? Or is it evolving into something more efficient?

ladymomtraveler

Asked by ladymomtraveler at 8:41 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Just for Fun

• i don't think its the internet's fault..i think its laziness, popularity of texting-abbreviations, and ignorance on the part of the user.

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• The lack of spelling ability is just another sign of the problem with literacy in our country. It's very easy to look up the statistics comparing the U.S. to other industrialized nations...we get a big fat FAIL in most areas, including reading which goes hand-in-hand with spelling.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:26 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Unfortunately, it is going to the wayside. My kids can't spell simple words and it is not stressed in school anymore. However, they don't realize that in the working world they will need to spell properly.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:39 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Broken education system, lazy parenting to name a few. If I shorten, it is for a reason, as in to fit all in a text message on cell. I think good grammar and spelling is a dying tradition. So sad.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:16 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• The lack of grammar skills (even basic ones) is sad.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Spelling, grammar, and punctuation are all dying. Anymore you can barely read a sentence without scartching your head in confusion. People just don't use the proper English techniques they were taught in school.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:19 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'm not sure how efficient it is when we can't understand or struggle to understand what someone is trying to say.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I think the internet and texting can only take part of the blame. I think it's used as an excuse by people who never paid attention in school, and don't read.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• The internet and texting on cell phones are a big reason why people can't spell correctly or use proper grammar. No one actually WRITES anything anymore.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It's not the internet's fault people are lazy and/or incompetent. The internet has no control over who uses it.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:42 AM on Jan. 31, 2011