is love (in a relationship of man and woman) all hype, is it real at all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Relationships

• Its real but alot of work.
    LOVLYLOVEKGS

Answer by LOVLYLOVEKGS at 10:12 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Absolutely its real. It changes over time but it doesn't get bad or boring or whatever. I think maybe some people think love is going bad or getting old news when it doesn't feel like the first year or so of frenzied passion. Passion and love have become a lot deeper for us and while we don't have "rip the pictures off the wall" sex all the time it's still great. (ok sometimes some stuff still gets torn up..lol). It's very real but a person has to first accept that love changes over time and it's not a bad thing. 

RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 9:06 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• What I have been told in regards to this is you have to keep working on it. But my question is, how much work do you have to put in before you can just say you tried and walk away?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I suppose it depends on one's point of view, it's the old "If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody around to hear it, does it make a sound?" question. If you believe in love and have faith in that, then love exists. If you don't, then it doesn't.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:06 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• In referrence to what the first poster wrote...you have to start with 2 people who mutually respect each other first. You can't have a future with someone who you fight with all the time, etc. Don't get me wrong...you do have to work at it. It's not just 50/50. Sometimes you carry 90% and sometimes he carries 90% but being willing to be committed to each other makes it easier. I've learned that stupid "Love is patient. Love is kind." poem is actually true because those things eventually overcome being pissed at each other, being disappointed at times, etc. My husband and I NEVER intintionally say or do things to hurt each other or "get back at" each other. It's hard to explain I guess.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 9:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I agree with RentaMom. You first have to learn to look at a love as something that evolves, almost a living thing. Just like love for your children is different than love for your siblings, which is different than the love for your spouse...love for one person isn't necessarily the same year after year. That's especially true in the case of romantic love, which has as much to do with actual physical responses as it does with emotional attachment, and those physical reactions are going to change.

If you expect romantic love to stay the same after 20 years, or even after 5 years, as it is in the very beginning, in the so-called "honeymoon phase", then you're setting yourself up for failure.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:26 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Yes in my opinion it does exist. But not in the romantic movie sort of way. As you get older, the relationship grows and that bond is the love. It is not all love songs and roses, it's about compromise, hard work and trust. But if at the end of the day, you can still look in the mirror and know to yourself that you're a better person because of it, then it is love. Love builds you up, it makes you stronger. I think you know you've given to much when you can't find yourself in that relationship anymore. When everything is in your life has been done for the other person and there is nothing of you there, then its to much.
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It can be real. Not all love is real, not all love is romantic. But there is romantic love that is real.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:17 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It's a lot of work, Been with my s/o for almost 39 years, romance is still strong.
    debnich501960

Answer by debnich501960 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 31, 2011