My 14 month old daughter WON't Eat anything but sweets. HELP!

My daughter Kacie is about to be 15 months. Just about 2 months ago she stopped eating regularly. She only wants junk food example Ice cream, chips, candy, etc. It worried me because she will go the whole day without eating and when I offer her food she refuses it. She stays drinking juice but eats no food. Don't get me wrong I try feeding her but I've gotten so frustrated that I just gave up. WHen I make a meal I try giving it to her but nope she still wont eat. Fast food either. However, whenever I seen her to my mother's house she eats fine all weekend she will eat eat eat. I'm worried because I dont know if it is her knowing she can get away with eating junk with me or what but PLEASE HELP.

Chelsz101

Asked by Chelsz101 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Duh....quit giving it to her. If it's not available guess what...she has to eat something else. She'll get over it. Your mom probably doesn't offer sweets her as an alternative to refusing to eat what is given to her. Stop feeding her fast food too. I have kids who would love to get sweets in place of vegetables but too bad they don't get it.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 8:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Just stop buying junk, and stop giving it to her. If it's not in the house, she won't want it. I know she is still so young, but try to have her help you with simple things when preparing meals.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Do you let her feed herself? My son would refuse to eat, until I gave him a spoon. He is a mess to clean up after, but it is worth it to see him eat healthy foods.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• To me this is not a problem....first off QUIT getting the junk in your house...you cant give it to her if its not there.

Then make the food you are planning on making....put her out a plate...help her...offer it to her....if she refuses put the plate in the fridge...when she is hungry warm it up....

Eventually she will realize that the food you give her is what she gets...no temper tantrum is going to change your mind.

Does she eat baby food?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:01 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• When my son started this, I didn't feed him for a day. I offered him regular food at the meal intervals, but if he didn't eat it, he went hungry. The next day, he ate a sandwich. The day after, he ate other foods. If your child is made to go hungry, they won't like it, and they will realize they should eat whatever they are told they should.

Another option is to buy the carnation instant breakfasts, or the kids essentials drinks, which are vitamin and mineral enriched and are great for kids. They're like chocolate milk. If she eats something healthy, reward her with one of these. You could probably even put ice in the blender and mix it in, make a chocolate milkshake sort of thing. At 15 mos, she's way too young for sweets regularly. My son is 3, and his sweet treat is bug juice. He usually gets one every other day or so..sometimes more often because his daddy's a sap.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Here's an idea: quit buying the sweets and get rid of what you already have in the house. Just give her regular, healthy food. She'll eat when she gets hungry.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:10 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• As the parent you have to put your foot down. Kids will eat when they are hungry unless they have sugar which starts acting like a drug and becomes addictive. Put healthy choices in front of her. Eventually she will get hungry enough she will eat something good for her. If you watch some of these shows where the mom gives in to the kids you end up with toddlers weighing 60 - 100 lbs. and I know you dont want that. Stay away from juice too, because it is loaded with sugar. Milk or water is fine. If she wants juice give her an apple or orange. Remember to be the mom.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:24 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It is that she knows you will give her the junk. Like others have said you need to make it not an option. You need to deal with this now or its only going to get worse. She is only 15 months and its been going on for 2 months already? IMO at that age she shouldn't have had that much Junk food introduced to her already.

You will be in for a rough couple of days but it will be better for both of you in the long run!

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It is her knowing that you will give in and allow her to have junk food. Grandma might not even give her that option and she knows she can't get away with eating junk. She needs to know she has one option and one option only that she has to eat healthy. No more junk food. Don't even allow it in the house until she can start eating a healthy diet. She's a child, so "She won't eat anything but junk" is an excuse .. Not something that cannot be fixed. My suggestion is to sit her down at the table and tell her "You either eat this or you're not leaving the table until you do. No more junk."
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:12 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Throw away all of the junk. It shouldn't even be an option....
    She has learned that if she waits long enough you will give in and give her what she wants... and what child wouldn't like junk food!?
    Provide her with a meal and she gets what she gets... she can choose not to eat... she won't starve herself. No snacks if she doesn't eat her meal.... you can reheat her meal and offer it again.
    No juice either... it should be a treat... she can have milk or water.
    With my son... "candy" is things like dried fruit... it's nice and sweet and he loves it. Yogurt to him is dessert... it's his "ice cream"
    He had a picky phase around that age and we did smoothies... add fruit and veges (find recipes online) and yogurt and make a yummy smoothie... or freeze it into Popsicles.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2011