3 Year old / BAD Breath

We have already brought our son to the dentist, every thing seems good, he loves to brush and we have been brushing since he had his first tooth, he also LOVES to floss and was so excited about it from actually going to the dentist.. well, recently his father and I both commented on how bad his breath is.. he is never one to stick things up his nose or be a mouther of any type but I checked his nose anyway.. I don't see anything but wow, it smells like garbage.. its been almost 2 weeks since I've noticed so its not like a virus thing I don't thing.. just wondering if anyone else has had this happen..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• Dehydration causes bad breath. Have him increase his water intake and see if that helps, if not you should probably call his dentist. My stepson had really bad breath for a while until we told him that he had to have a full glass of water before he could have any milk between meals. The extra water took care of the problem.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 4:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• What kinds of food is he eating? It could possibly be something he eats.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:19 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would take him to the doc
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:17 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Hmmm, is this a new thing? My first thought was either not brushing enough (2x/day) or not flossing. Make sure he brushes his tongue. I think some people just have bad breath, possibly due to foods and digestion. Wish I had some suggestions. Did the dentist have anything to say about it?
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 2:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'd have his Pediatrician take a look in his ears and nose. Even though you can't see anything you'd be surprised how far up in there small objects can get shoved, and something in the ears can even cause bad breathe cause that's all connected, especially if its rotting. My brother shoved a marble in his nose at 2 and it wasn't visible, we still to this day have no idea how long it was up there, but my mom still teases him about how bad his breathe was and he's an adult now. In either case I hope it goes away :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2011