is this as bad as i think it sounds??

my dd hurt her foot at school, it's not broken but she's strained/sprained the legiments/tendons on the top of her foot. she has to wear a boot thingy for a week to keep it still. and so she can walk without it hurting her to much. this morning she was telling me that the kind of pain she was having in her foot was "burning" pain. now we go back in a week and maybe be sent to an orthopedic surgen. but that burning pain is what worries me. im scared she's going to have to have surgery. (where is spell check when you need it?)

RaeTy

Asked by RaeTy at 9:06 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Kids' Health

• It could be that she's over-using that foot. Have her sit down and put her foot up. Did the doc say anything about icing it? Try to get her to focus on other stuff. The doctor should've told you or given you a sheet of signs to look for if the problem got worse.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:09 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I sprained the top of my foot about a year and a half ago. Mine still burns when it gets overused or if it is too hot or too cold. I don't really think that it is something that you should worry about. If she will take the time and let heal properly then it will get better. I was supposed to be on crutches for 6-8 weeks. I couldn't use them at home with a toddler just learning how to walk under foot in a small house. I hope she feels better soon. I understand the pain that she is in. BTW she must have done a good job with that injury b/c it isn't easy to sprain that par oft your foot.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:13 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I agree if she doens't need to be walking on it she should be resting it. I would not worry to much until you go back to the doctor. If she continues to complain then I would call the doctor and see what they say.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• maybe the boot thing is too tight, which restricts blood flow to the foot. or the burning pain could be caused from an infection.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:15 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• The burning is probably because the muscles or tendons are swollen and need to be iced down.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2011