at 14 months old how many words should your toddler say?

lovemyhamza

Asked by lovemyhamza at 9:20 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not sure that I'd worry at 14 mos. I don't think it was until our son was 2 and not saying more than what seemed like a handful of words that the doctors got worried. I think at two the standard is 60 words. Might be wrong...my husband says it was 1 and a half.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• There is no "should" about it or any other developmental milestone that your toddler reaches. Children are so completely different and have different preferences and orders they develop that saying a child should say so many words by 14 months is silly because its placing a wafty expectation on a child.

I wouldn't worry - I don't think my son was saying much if anything at 14 months.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:26 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I think they big thing they look for at 1 year is repetition of sounds -- mama, dada, baba, gaga, etc. -- not necessarily with any meaning.

At 18 months, there's a wide range of "normal" -- I think anything from 5-30 words, or something like that.

By 2 years, it should be 50+ I believe, and starting to put two words together -- dog woof, me up, there tree, etc.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:30 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• If you have any concerns, early intervention will do a free developmental evaluation and let you know if there are any delays. If they are, then you have a jump on addressing them and early intervention will offer free or very low cost therapy to help address the concerns. If there are no delays, then at least you have peace of mind that your child is on track. It never hurts to check into it if you think there's a problem - moms know best!

Answer by missanc at 11:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2011