at 14 months old how many words should he be saying

lovemyhamza

Asked by lovemyhamza at 9:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not sure the exact amount, but at 14 months my daughter was just learning how to a couple words. I think she maybe said cat and bye bye, if anything not much more.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Mine have never been very articulate at a young age. I say, don't worry about their speech ability. You can compare, but it will only drive you crazy. My first only used sign language until she was 22 months old. Then she started speaking in simple sentences. My second didn't make a sound or peep until a few months after his second birthday. (We'd hear him babbling a little to himself if he was alone, but he wouldn't make any noise in front of people.) When he started talking, it was complete sentences that were completely understandable. (We're talking complex sentences. Not just "Want milk." But "Could you get me a cup of milk.") My third is 18 months old now and he does say a few words here and there.
    Each child is different. 14 months is too early to be worried about speech. If they are 2 and a half and can't talk, then you can find solutions, but for now, let him be.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 9:46 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• every child is different...I can't even remember what my daughter was saying at 14 months...she's 2 1/2 now and is a little jabber jaws...before you know it, they are talking up a storm :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Please don't wait until your child is 2 1/2 to worry about their speech! If you have any concerns, early intervention will do a free developmental evaluation and let you know if there are any delays. If they are, then you have a jump on addressing them and early intervention will offer free or very low cost therapy to help address the concerns. If there are no delays, then at least you have peace of mind that your child is on track. It never hurts to check into it if you think there's a problem - moms know best!

Answer by missanc at 11:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Well my 16mth says many words. mama, nana, dada, tee-tee (word for cup) clearly. Shes even said daddy a few times & says doggy, kitty, robot & gabba gabba. My dd talks alot lol. Even just babbling but it depnds on the child too. I think i just have a talkative one. My friends dh is about a wk older then mine & just says up, food. & mum. Its just how the kids are. WE as adults are all different some of us are quiet & some of us are talkers. Thats just the way it is. But if you think its a concern by all means get it checked. Doesnt hurt to see.
    mercy928

Answer by mercy928 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011