how do i tell food stamps the truth?

I was married when i was 16. He didn't have a social security number. I never received my marriage license from the county office and i called about it once and they said that they could not find any records of it. Well i aplied for food stamps as single(since i figured i was). Now he is going through removal proceedings and they are calling me saying that i am his wife.So i went to the court office where we were married and the lady found our marriage license and said it was misfiled . Now I am trying to figure out how to tell the food stamp office that i am married. We did not stay together after the marriage. WE have never even lived together. It was a stupid mistake that i should have really thoguht through but now i really need some advice on what to tell the food stamp office.

braidonjsa

Asked by braidonjsa at 9:40 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Money & Work

• what's so hard about being honest??
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 10:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Tell them what you told us, tell them the truth. You can't lie.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• you're still legally married...if you don't want to be, get divorced so you can get your food stamps...j.ust be honest.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:25 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• You need to tell them the truth. You will probably have to refile any tax returns you filed as single, to married and filing separately

Answer by rkoloms at 5:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Wow that's crazy! Just tell them the truth. It sounds like you didn't know you were married because you couldn't find any papers proving it. And now you've found them. I don't think this will change any of your benefits since he isn't living with you and technically you are legally separated, but you do need to tell them as soon as possible.
    Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2011