Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

How can i tell the food stamp office the truth?

I was married when i was 16. He didn't have a social security number. I never received my marriage license from the county office and i called about it once and they said that they could not find any records of it. Well i aplied for food stamps as single(since i figured i was). Now he is going through removal proceedings and they are calling me saying that i am his wife.So i went to the court office where we were married and the lady found our marriage license and said it was misfiled . Now I am trying to figure out how to tell the food stamp office that i am married. We did not stay together after the marriage. WE have never even lived together. It was a stupid mistake that i should have really thoguht through but now i really need some advice on what to tell the food stamp office.
I don't think i can annull it i was married at 16 i am 21 now.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (12)
  • YYou just have to be honest with them

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • Just file for divorce, tell them the truth though, I think you can still get on it if you are married but your husband is gone.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • FIle for divorce and tell them what what you just told us.

    Answer by hotrodlassie at 9:47 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • But won't they consider it lying

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • My ss bio mom claimed her other son for 6 months while the boy lived in another state with his dad. I turned her in for fraud and nothing happened to her at all, she didnt even have to pay it back. I dont think they will care if you wernt trying to claim him. Tell them the truth

    Answer by shivasgirl at 9:54 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • Lying would be not telling the truth as far as you know it. You can't be considered a liar if you didn't know. But, going forward, if you do not correct it, it would be lying. It shouldn't affect your stamps though, since he is not living with you or supplying any income.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • If he didn't have a SS number then you wouldn't have been able to get married. They wouldn't have even filed it. At least that's what I'm in understanding of. Either way .. You just need to tell the FS Office "I was under the impression that I wasn't legally married since they couldn't find record of my marriage license. However, I got a call today saying they found it was misfiled and that I am legally married." It should be no issue. Since you don't live with him it shouldn't make any difference on your FS account.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • just tell them the truth as you have told it to us, i am sure a mistake you made when you where 16 isnt going to effect the out come at the fs office but if you dont deal with it know it might be a big issue later.....and the second thing you need to do is file for either a divorce or an anulment if you never lived to a lawyer to find out your options (most conslats are free)

    Answer by cara124 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • if he does not have a ss number you can not claim him on you food stamps anyway

    Answer by matthewsmyboy at 10:10 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • If you lay it out for them, and be completely honest, you will be fine.

    Answer by parajumper3 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.