is it bad that my 2 year old daughter says "boobies"?

Sometimes my daughter will point at my breasts and say "boobies". I don't have an issue with it, after all that's what they are. She is a very curious little thing and likes to point things out whether it be colors,animals.... or boobies. But I'm nervous that if she says it in public people with think I'm abusing her or something. Thoughts?

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 9:43 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Little kids say words like that all the time. That doesn't add up to abuse. When my son was 2 he told the lady in the check out line that he had a penis. She just laughed and said "that's nice".
    My daughter was at JC Penney with me and wanted to know when her boobs would get big and huge like mine so she could buy one of these things(bra section).

Kids just say what they see. There's nothing wrong with that. Just use your judgement if there is a place where it shouldn't be said. lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• no. not a bad thing. she's just naming objects as she's learning them. as she gets older, you may want to curb her enthusiasm to name them in public, but for now, i think she's fine.

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:45 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would be much more concerned if she did it to others as well. It might be fine with you, but other people may not want her pointing out their "boobies". She's old enough to understand that she should not do that in public.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:52 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Why would people think you're abusing your daughter because she knows what boobs are? You're just a tad bit paranoid there, dear.
    She knows what they are and knows the 'name' for them, that's just fine. Who cares what people think?
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• haha I guess I was just thinking in the lines of... I don't want people questions why she knows what "private" parts are. She only points out my boobs, but still. and scout mom she definitley doesn't understand the difference between home and public, she's only 25 months.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• LOL Musicmom.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I breastfed all four of mine and that is what they called them. My oldest would cup his little hand around them if I were holding him and talking to someone. Embarrassing yes but I would just calmly move his hand away. They are so innocent ..unfortunately shame is taught.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2011