What do/did you feed your 8/9 month old?

Just wondering what the normal is compared to what the doctor says for my SS. My kids ate a lot more at a younger age than my SS, and followed a schedule more closely to what my SS doctor says to do, but BM seems to be refusing to go by what dr. says to do.

kicknscreamn222

Asked by kicknscreamn222 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They were eating 3 meals of pureed food a day with 5 oz's of formula after each meal.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:47 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I am not the "normal" mom nowadays. But my kids are 3 and 18 months and I did things a little different. Depending on how many teeth your little one has, I fed my children solids by that age. Grilled cheese, PB sandwiches...small hot dog pieces, mac and cheese...I did the occassional baby food...but my kids were not big fans of it. My kids were only on 3 bottles at 8 months and 2 at 9 months...and off the bottle by 12 months. I am a schedule freak when it comes to kids. My doctor would always laugh and ask when I fed my kids to make them so big! They were always off the chart for height and weight...at 6 months they weighed 23 pounds. I guess I did something right!
    sweetiepie8540

Answer by sweetiepie8540 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My granddaughter , at 9 months eats cheerio,s as her favorite food, she also likes applesauce, and little bits of jello with tangerines in it. If they have teeth , they need something more satisfying than mush. mashed potatoes and pancakes are also good.
    USCGmomJD

Answer by USCGmomJD at 10:01 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Sorry, but BM gets to decide what to feed SS, not you. Every child is different and has different needs. She may just be more in tune to his needs than you are. You can't really compare kids.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:21 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My first was eating jarred baby food, maybe once or twice a day, along with three or four 8-oz bottles of formula.

My second was eating table foods, whatever we were eating, again maybe once or twice a day (emphasis on maybe with this one), and nursing on demand.

And teeth have nothing to do with it.

What is the doctor saying, and what is your step-son's mom doing?
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My kids never ate jarred food. They had mashed table food starting at 6 months or so and were eating pretty much what we did by 8 months. They all teethed late, but were able to gum their food fine.

Answer by missanc at 11:54 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My baby is only 6 months and just started jarred food but my 4yo was eating all table food at 8-9 months. Whatever we were having she was having (within reason). We basically skipped the whole jarred thing. I hate the baby food stage. I find it annoying and time-consuming. When she was a baby I'd give her baby food whenever I had the energy. Sometimes that was once or twice a day, sometimes once or twice a week. Then at 7 1/2 months she started self-feeding. It wasn't intentional. It was Thanksgiving so I gave her a little plate of everything (turkey cooked in a slow cooker just melts in your mouth...yum). She just went at it so I let her feed herself. By Christmas she was refusing baby food and wanted real food so that's what she got. She still got mostly bottles and meals were...whenever until she was around 1. She didn't really eat on a schedule until she was 1.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2011