• In the Spotlight:

suggestions for a very needy infant?

My 5 month old crys if I put her down even if i am right there where she can see me she will still cry hard not just a soft cry. I let her cry when she can see me and when i when i know she is fine i will let her cry when she can't see me for around 10-15 minutes and she does ot stop and her cry does not get softer. what should i do?

Tdaycare6678

Asked by Tdaycare6678 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she teething? (is she drooling a lot and chewing?) She just may be hurting.
    I would keep her close to you. She is still very young and it does not last forever. I understand you need a moment to yourself. See if you can elect someone else to be with baby when you take a break. Enjoy the closeness. I carried my babies in a baby backpack when I needed both hands...they have those front holders too. Kinda gave me a break and solved my baby issue. My kids loved riding along.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:52 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I agree that it very well could be teething. I also "wore" my daughter in a wrap when I couldn't put her down.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Personally I wouldn't let a 5 month old cry. You might want to look into getting a wrap to carry her around so that you can still get stuff done.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Not much else you can do. My daughter was the same way. I would put her down to let her cry, I had to for my own sanity. I also had wonderful friends that would take her for a little bit so I could have some down time. Granted she cried with them, but was fine. That phase didn't last long. She was always a momma's girl, but got better. Like the other women said, she could be teething. That makes things difficult. my princess was a difficult teether. I didn't ever use a sling with her, but I hear they are great. Best of luck and don't worry, this too shall pass
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:08 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would get a good sling or baby carrier and wear her. Some babies just need to be closer to Mom. I think you'll be surprised in how she reacts. Many women find that fussy babies turn into very quiet, inquisitive little things when worn. Every child has a different personality, and she may just need to be with you or at a vantage point to really see her surroundings.
    I love my Beco Butterfly carrier. It is easy to use, feels very comfortable, and baby can be worn on the front or back. Putting baby on your back is awesome for grocery shopping, washing dishes, folding clothes, etc.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:20 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Moby Wrap and ErgoBaby are 2 really great options for wearing baby. It frees your hands, but gives Baby the closeness she needs.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• All that she knows is that you are her comfort and security. Hold the child....this phase will pass.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:38 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I also suggest a wrap or baby carrier... If all my LO wants is to be held but I have things to do, I put him in the Moby and he usually falls right asleep.
    EriksMama

Answer by EriksMama at 11:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Use a sling or other carrier, and don't be afraid to pick up a crying baby!!

You spoil a child by buying them whatever they want and not teaching them responsibility. You do not spoil a child with unconditional love or by meeting their needs. Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves is a wonderful parenting book http://www.naomialdort.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 7:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2011