Advice and tips to help me potty train my toddler

My son is now 20 months old and able to tell you that he's wet. We've been trying potty training for a little bit now just letting it happen. I wanted to introduce the potty to him when he was curious about it so no pressure. Well now he's letting yiu know he's wet but if he sits on the potty sometimes he will go then again sometimes after he gets off the potty he goes in the pull up. I'm just looking for new ways to get my big boy completely potty trained.

mrswalker5150

Asked by mrswalker5150 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is still pretty young but maybe look into the 3 Day Potty training method. I know alot of people who have used it (myself included) and it worked. I didn't start with my son until he was 2 and 1/2 though.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I am potty training my daughter now. My daughter will try not to pee in her underwear verses pull up. She knows the pull up will catch it ,but the panties won't . When she has underwear on 90 percent of the time she will use the potty.
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 10:10 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Thanks for the advice
    mrswalker5150

Comment by mrswalker5150 (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• i tried to take him every so often, eventually it is all about when they want to doit. i tried putting underwear on fro awhile to begin with but he would just go in htem i think it dependso nthe kid
    sic13

Answer by sic13 at 10:18 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• the most important thing to know is, let them lead and don't ever force them. They will be turned off by it. My daughter peed in the potty for the first time at 16 months...she has gone in waves...she lets me know when she's wet and when she wants to poop. she has done it all on her own...there is no magic number to when a baby should be potty trained.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:20 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Get some of those cute books out there to help and Google "toilet training readiness" to see some helpful links
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My daughter will be 20 months Friday and we just bought a potty 2 weeks ago. The first week she sat on it and read books. Over the last week she has pooped in 7 times. She will say potty when she has to go. All we did was sit her on it and clap and praise when she peed and eventually she got the idea. I am not gung ho on potty training I am letting her lead the way. When they are ready they will do it themselves. You just need to make sure they know what to do...... For us we gave her stickers when she pottied. Some kids are ready at 20 months some kids arent ready till close till 3.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2011