W2 Question....

We are having problems gettin our W2 from my husbands former employer, he was mad at my hubby for leaving for a number of reasons. I called the payro;; company and they said that the employers will have them by the 22 of Jan and so I called him and he says he still does not have them, I was always under the impression that he had to have them mailed out to us by the 31st. Now this morning he still don't have them?? Whats the rule on this?? I was told that the payroll had to have them sent out to the employer and the employer had to have them out by the 31 am I wrong???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Money & Work

• They have to be postmarked by the 31st. They could have by law just dropped them in the mail anytime today. Give it a few more days.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• yes, postmarked by the 31st...they can't withhold tax info b/c they're pissed....that's against the law..they probably just waited til the last minute to send it out.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:24 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would give it a week. If you do not get one then take your last pay stub to your nearest IRS office. They will give you the right paperwork to do your taxes and go after the employer.
    If you don't get one your tax preparer could help you too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• You can get a record from the IRS

Answer by rkoloms at 5:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2011