Horror movies and Jesus

A friend of mine has a picture of Jesus on the cross for the background on her computer. It shows him hanging here, blood on his wrists, ankles and forehead. To me it was pretty graphic. So I asked her; how can you have something so horrific like this on your computer yet you think horror movies are too graphic for children? It makes no sense to me. It's better to see a man being tortured on a cross then to watch Jason use a machete on someone?

Chrissy629

Asked by Chrissy629 at 6:17 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• For some Christians it's a reminder of all Jesus did to pay for our sins. It's not something I would choose to have in my home with young children, but I can understand why some people do. And it has nothing to do with horror movies. Horror movies are fake and evil, and Jesus was very real and very good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I agree with Anonymous.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:03 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Personally, I don't understand why Christians worship and relish the cross the way they do. For one, Jesus wasn't hung a cross (the cross is a pagan relic--but that's a small issue, really), for two, I completely understand honoring your Savior and acknowledging what he went through... but why glorify the means with which it was done? If he had been killed with a sword or a gun, would we have swords and guns hanging in churches and homes/computer screens everywhere? Would they show a bullet blowing brain bits around? There were so many aspects to what he did for our sins, I don't get the hype over the cross and nails. He also had a sword stuck in his side, was whipped, we don't hang whips in our home? Just some thoughts......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Sex drive, going to the bathroom etc are very real bodily functions too, you don't keep pictures of those, especially porn hanging around your children do you?
    I am also seriously sick and tired of this constant guilt trip given by the believers to themselves, their children and other people all the time. That is psychological abuse.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 11:29 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Guilt trip?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I agree with anon746 it's a reminder. Also, Anon1037 - I don't worship the cross but the one who died on the cross.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• "Guilt trip?" Your religion tells you that Jesus died for your sins throughout your whole life, plus it says that if you don't believe, accept him you go to hell. So, I all it guilt trip.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 12:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• anon10:37 - actually in Hebrew writings it says execution stake... which was used by the Romans for crucifixions to hang criminals on... it was used in several ways... to impale the criminals on and hang them there, to nail them to a single upright stake... however, they also later began adding a cross bar - either across the very top or about halfway down the top. They nailed the arms across and the feet were put together and a single nail put through. A little graphic... yes but that is how the Romans performed crucifixions.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• we don't worship him being tortured. we worship his life. we are christian but we don't glorify the cross. i mean we as in mormons.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• melody77, most Christians don't worship the cross either. Rather, we keep it as a symbol of what Jesus did for us. Maybe it is a guilt trip of sorts as anon suggested, but it could also be a form of discipline. Better the guilt trips than pain.

Great history lesson, bonn777! lol. You know what I'm referring to.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2008