Why do so many people think that teeth have anything to do with readiness for solid foods?

Is this information that doctors are handing out? A deduction women come to on their own?

I've just never understood it. Babies aren't usually taking bites, and the teeth used to chew -- the molars -- don't usually come in until a year or later anyway, so what difference does it make how many (if any) teeth a baby has when considering what to feed them?

And I'm really curious how this misinformation is being spread.

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 10:31 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am too... Babies that only have up to their incisors, simply can not eat 'table food'. They *MUST* have molars before they can chew. simple as that. I've also never understood introducing solids to a child who is less than 10-12 months old. The ONLY thing they need to that point is breast milk. *shakes head* Poor things can't even digest solids yet, especially grain... bows the mind why grain is marketed for infants when they simply are incapable of digesting it until around their second year.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:36 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Thank you Obby! Teeth don't really have much to do with feeding solids, but feeding solids is being done way too early way too often!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:38 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Because you chew food with teeth, and if teeth are coming in it's a pretty good indicator that certain foods may be okay.
    I guess I'm not totally understanding what you are getting at.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Just because your OPINION is different doesn't mean that everyone is being handed "false" information.  There is proof to not start feeding solids until later on in an infants life, and proof that you should start early.  I was told 4-6 months by quite a few Dr.s.  It is suggested that an infant that age be fed pureed foods, so why would they need teeth to eat that to start with.  I think each individual parent should feed their child at what age they believe they should.  And babies under a year CAN take a "bite" and chew.  On the other hand, I didn't go by when any of my children got their teeth.  I trust their Dr. and went with what he suggested.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Children are quite capable of chewing with thier gums. As long as the food is soft when you squeeze it with your fingers, and not a hard crunchy food, children without molars are very capable of it. We never did pureed foods.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• The recommendation when my kids were babies was to start cereal at 4 months and jar food at 6 months. I love how women get up on their high horse about things like this when the recommendations and guidelines are always changing. People aren't stupid because they do what they are told is best.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:53 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• ugh another mother trying to push her thoughts and ideas on others, feeding solids is up to the parent and the child. And for your information my daughter was given solids in the nicu at 6 months it was part of her nutrition so i am sure doctors and a nutritionist know what they are talking about and she didn't have any teeth what so ever. She ate her solids better then taking her liquids and is a healthy almost five year old.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:15 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My point is that babies eat solids all the time without teeth. I see mothers saying constantly how they started their baby on solids because their doctor said to, or because they were hungry, or what have you, with no mention of teeth at all. And yet when asking when they should start, answers inevitably include that it depends on how many teeth the baby has, when having a couple of teeth up front makes no difference at all in the eating process. It baffles me.

I'm not saying anything at all about when solids should be started. Just wondering why so many people seem to think teeth have anything to do with it when it seems like common practice goes against that.
    DragonRiderMD

Comment by DragonRiderMD (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I knew what you were getting at OP and I have no idea. It baffles me too why people think that just because babies don't have teeth, they can't eat solids. All 5 of mine have been on table food by 8 months and they were all late teethers, none of them had more than 4 teeth at that point!

Answer by missanc at 1:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• To those who insist that teeth mean they are ready for soilds, what do you think of babies that are BORN with teeth? It DOES happen. Should they be getting solids from birth? What about babies who get their first tooth at a young age, such as a few weeks to a few mos old? I agree that teeth don't mean a thing when it comes to readiness for solids. And furthermore, what about babies who DON'T get their first tooth until 11-12 mos of age? I understands that solids aren't NECESSARY in the first year. For instance, my DD, and actually my DS for that matter, didn't get their first tooth until they were well into their 11th month. Following the logic saying that teeth mean they are ready for solids, does that mean that I should have NOT introduced my son to zucchini at 8 mos? I do happen to disagree with the posters who said babies can't eat/chew solids without teeth. Babies certainly can use their gums to mash soft foods.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2011