Breastfeeding question about pumps

I am currently pregnant with my second child. With our first one I didn't even try to breastfeed. It wasn't something I wanted to do. But now I would like to try and there seem to be so many breast pumps out there. I am trying to do a little research about which ones are the best. Also I don't have a ton of money and was wondering if certain ones were worth more. If anyone can give me any feedback that would be great.

Nedrin

Asked by Nedrin at 6:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Like the others said, it depends on what your plans are. If you are staying at home and not planning on giving a bottle very often, you can get a manual pump or a single electric or not even get a pump. But it you are working(even if it's part time) or if you have the money, I'd go with a double electric. I have a Medela Pump in Style and it was expensive but it was totally worth it!!! It's easy to use and I never had any problems with it. I used it with my son and now I'm using it with my daughter, so it's been almost 2 years of pretty heavy use and it still works good. I bet it will last me until I'm done having kids(which kinda sucks cuz I want an excuse to get the new hands free pump!) Anyway, that's what I recommend, it works for me!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 10:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• If you are going to stay at home, I wouldn't even worry about buying a pump. You can hand express if you go out for a day or something. If you will be staying at home, but plan on pumping just to hav a little supply in the freezer, I highly reccomend the gerber manual pump. I got mine at walmart for $20 and it had two bottles with it. If you plan on going back to work, I would buy an electric pump. I don't respond to an electric pump, meaning, I can pump with an electric pump all day and not get any milk, so I wouldn't rush to get a $500 electic pump when it may not work.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I LOVE the playtex embrace double electric pump. I bought two different evenflo pumps before and couldn't use them. This one is awesome.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 7:11 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• The ones you find at the stores are awful and don't work. Rent one from your hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I did not like the big electric pumps. I used a small Avent Isis Pump. It was hand held and worked just as well and didn't make me feel like Bessie the dairy cow.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 9:19 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I rented a medela from the hospital, and it was rather inexpensive, and worked great. This second pregnancy, since I ended up giving my first son breast milk for over a year, i decided it was cheaper for me to just end up buying one and not having to do the renting thing, and ended up finding one that a lady used twice, and ended up not breastfeeding that i ended up purchasing for 50 dollars on Craigslist, but again, not everyone responds to the same pumps the same ways.
    LilManCaiMommy

Answer by LilManCaiMommy at 10:00 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I had an evenflo and it didnt work very well
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Baby is the best pump you'll ever need. Avent is the next best. It is a manual pump and gets twice as much milk than the pump I rented from the hospital. It's fairly inexpensive ( $50.00) and is small enough to carry in your purse or diaper bag should you need to pump at work. But pumped milk needs to be frozen or chilled at least until you can get it home.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:42 AM on Nov. 15, 2008