Am I alone? Someone has to be where I am right?

I've been struggling with my son for a while now. We know he is most likely on the autism spectrum and I've reached out to get him evaluated etc. NO ONE will call me back. It's been almost a month and I am really at the end of the line. I just want to cry all day every day. I don't know how to help him and his behavior is just out of control. I'm really hoping maybe someone on here has been through this, and can maybe offer some support. At least support until his eval is done. Any advice would be great.

toykeymama

Asked by toykeymama at 10:53 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• Hello frustrated Mom, "I'm sorry the process isn't quicker." I've been down that road and understand your pain. At the age of 2 my son was diagnoised with Autism, ADHD, Mild Retardation and other disabilities. He is now 21 yrs old. I had two other children who needed me along side of him. It was hard, I cried daily and didn't get much sleep. I searched every avenue I thought would be helpful. I checked my local Social Services, Crisis & Information Center, Easter Seals, Cruscade for Children, called our Metro-City-Call 311, 211 or 411. I asked if there's any help anywhere while waiting for the eval-process to take in effect. I ask the Eval-staff if knew of any services, while waiting for the initial appointment. I even contacted local school board & Childrens Hospital. I found some help thru some of the places I contacted "Be relentless!" thats the only way! any other help, reply back & I'll respond OK. God bless!
    tulipskiss311

Answer by tulipskiss311 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• If your son has an autism spectrum disorder, now is a good time to learn a valuable lesson about being his mom! NEVER stop fighting for what he needs and deserves!!! Will you feel discouraged? Yes. Will it be tiresome and frustrating? Yes. Will you have 9000 door slammed in your face? Yes. NEVER stop fighting! NEVER stop calling!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Get a referral to see a developmental pediatrician. Or, just call the children's hospitals in your area.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I KNEW there was something going on with my son, but his dad kept fighting with me about having him evaluated. I wasn't backing down. KEEP FIGHTING.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Maybe see if there are some autism groups here on CM and see if they can give you advice on how to get help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Your first step is truly to get him evaluated (which you are already doing.) In the meantime, there are groups on CafeMom that are for moms with autistic kids - they may be able to help you with suggestions.

My stepson is autistic. (He's pretty far on the scale). It can be incredibly frustrating, but it helps speaking with other moms.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• all you can do is wait for him to get evaluated to really know what is going on.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2011