How can i potty train my little boy?

My little boy is three years old now. He has moderate mental retardation and we are trying to potty train him. My main problem is that it seems as though he does not know when he needs to pee. He just goes and then he realizes it is this normal. MY four year old was no where near this difficult. We have been working with him since he was two and a half and he still is not registering it. I have people telling me to leave it alone and when he is ready he will go. But i think he is too old to still be in pullups and wetting in his underwear.

JessiSosa

Asked by JessiSosa at 11:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I just started with my 2 11/2 yr old Last night he went for the first time and we had a HUGE pee==pee party! Lots of clapping and whooping it up by all of us followed by a few M&Ms! He asked to go this morning and did! When I sit him on potty we read sing snack and have special juice boxes (I usually only give him a cup so he thinks this is cool) He has also been pantless most of the morning and we go into the potty every 1/2 hour. GL
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:18 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It took my son almost 6 months (until he was about 3 1/2) to know when he had to pee (he figured out when he needed to poop after about 2 months) without the challenges you face (he does have minor developmental delays and sensory issues). I kept him dry in the meantime by just putting him on the potty on a regular basis. It was a bit of a pain but it kept him dry. Since your child has special needs, I assume he's in school. Talk with your teacher about it as well. My nephew is autistic and his teachers were great in helping my SIL train him.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• my son is almost three and shows no interest... he will when he is ready :) plus, having a child with mental retardation, im sure it may just take him a bit longer
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My granson will be 4 next month. Please help! He still poops his pants. I'm his grandmother and he lives with us.
    thanks
    ILoveMyGirls365

Answer by ILoveMyGirls365 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2011