why dosen't my child.....

wipe her own butt? she is fully potty trained but i can't get her to wipe herself after she poops. she will be starting school in august so i'm running out of time. HELP! lol

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe try letting her use disposable baby wipes to wipe her bottom. I keep a container in the bathroom here.Tell her she'll get a rash and her butt will start to itch really bad if she doesnt wipe her bottom. LOL..idk...I guess its one of those battles that you know eventually you WILL win..sooner or later she WILL wipe her own bottom clean..its only a matter of WHEN. Good Luck mama :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Most kids can't wipe their own butt till they are 5-6. My daughter is 3 and can't wipe hers either.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• my son is six and wont wipe his butt ha ha he says he cant see it.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:16 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• lol -- I asked my 3.5 year-old why she wipes her bottom at preschool, but not at home, and she said -- "I CAN mommy, but I want YOU TO DO IT." lol :-) There you have it .......!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• she can do it she just refuses... idk what to do with her, she's so spoiled lol
    josiesmommy00

Comment by josiesmommy00 (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Just keep telling her that she needs to learn to wipe her own butt, & that the teachers won't do it for her in school. Let her know that if she doesn't learn how to do it on her own before school, then she will have a gross bum & smell like poop all day at school. My sister had the same issue with her son. I remember telling this to my nephew, it worked pretty good. He was so scared of smelling like poop at school, that he learned to wipe his butt real quick.

Have you asked her why she won't try it on her own?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:17 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• When she calls you in to do it for her, simply tell her that is a job she needs to learn to do herself. Show her how she can accomplish the task and have her do it. You be with her to make sure she is clean when she does it. Good luck
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• OK, so she knows how. Just tell her you won't do it anymore & insist that she do it. Even offer her a small treat if she does it on her own. This might at least give her some incentive to do it on her own.

Definitely let her know though, that if she doesn't wipe her butt in school she'll smell like poop.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:19 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My girlfriend and I were talking about this her son was 4 and would say he could do it himself and omg he really couldn't. She felt so bad b/c he was a terrible wiper and she tried to train him better but he really didn't get it. His underwear were so bad. At least if you do it you know it's getting done correctly :) She'll get the hang of it.

jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• lol. very normal childhood dilema! my son was being a little lazy, not trying hard enough to wipe clean (completely), and then his little bottom got red, and we would have to put some diaper rash cream on him (he was 6 at the time!). I finally told him if he doesn't try harder, he will have to see the doctor. He asked "will they give me a shot?" and i said "maybe, i don't know?" , knowing he hates shots. He tried better after that. He just needed some reason to want to get it done himself.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:20 AM on Jan. 31, 2011