For those of you that didn't get the epidural, how did you get through it?

I'm expecting my first and really want to go natural but I'm getting really nervous with everyone telling me I have to get the epidural or I'll be sorry.

missmay5

Asked by missmay5 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I didnt have an epidural with my first 3 labors. I had a focus object to use when I was breathing it made it easier for to concentrate. I also still used stadol and was not afraid to ask for it to take the edge off.

Answer by gemgem at 11:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• With my last 1, the epidural didn't work.....I won't lie to you. It hurts like crazy! That being said....lots of women don't have an epidural and do just fine. If you don't want one, don't get it.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• i got an epidural with my 1st but it didn't work so i still felt everything, it was more uncomfortable than anything, it just depends on your pain tolerance....i was focusing on getting her out b/c i didn't want a c-section. GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• You will be sorry for not having the epidural.  At least I was.  The pain was unbelievable.  I wasn't sorry once I had my babies.  I knew that I didn't want any pain meds so I sat my butt at home until there was no possibility of getting any anymore.  I don't have any great techniques to share, none of what everyone kept suggesting for pain management worked for me.  Not everyones labor is going to be someone elses idea of "perfect".  My hair was a mess, I screamed like a wild banshee, and I thought to myself that I was a complete idiot for not getting pain meds.  And then it was over.  The baby was here.  The relief is so tremendous and you are so overcome with joy I SWEAR to you, you will not regret it. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Oh, and I am pregnant with my 4th.  This will be my 4th natural childbirth.  Again, I will scream out for God to "take me now", I will think that I am a complete idiot for not getting pain meds.  But then, it will be over.  One of the main things that I suggest is to birth however you freaking feel like it.  There is no "right" way to deal with pain.  With my first born I was so overcome with a need to "do good" that I couldn't focus on anything else.  Everyones pain tolerance is different.  If you feel like screaming then freaking scream.  Don't worry about what you look like, don't worry about what anyone else thinks about you, do it your way.  The accomplishment of not having pain meds is HUGE.  You will gain a new awareness of what you can do.  How strong you are.  It's amazing.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Focusing on something else instead of the pain was very helpful.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• You will not be sorry if you EDUCATE yourself very well on the process of birth and the body's reaction to what it experiences during birth!!! I have had 3 natural births, and one of them was at home. The home birth was the BEST, most peaceful birth and made my husband very sorry that he hadn't agreed to it with the other 2. Rule #1 if you want a natural birth: STOP LISTENING to those who didn't have one and those who say you cannot do it!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:36 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Um excuse me but I've had 3 natural childbirths.  I never said that she SHOULDN'T have a natural childbirth, I was stating my own experience which is what she ASKED for.  Read my entire post before you run your fingers.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• You should do what you feel is right for YOU. I had a natural birth, but if you feel like you need the epidural, get it, that's why it's there..
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:41 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Read my entire post before you run your fingers.

Answer by MrsHouston47302

Run your fingers, LOL.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:42 AM on Jan. 31, 2011