Need some PROS and some cons

My doctor says that the mirena is the best birth control for my AGE 36. And I have googled it and there are more cons the pros. So my questions is "Is there any pros out there? How bad does it hurt?" And before any body says if you had kids then you can do this, I had meds felt nothing from armpits down, so that does not help.

SonjaNash

Asked by SonjaNash at 11:24 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I love it. I no longer have a period-- just mild cramping when it should be arriving. It was inserted at my 6 week pp check up, so I had no pain upon insertion. I did have bleeding nonstop (not bad, just every day) for 6-8 weeks following, but that cleared up with no problems.

I no longer have to remember to take a pill every day. It doesn't matter if I get sick, the bc is just as effective. DH has never complained about it. IMO, it's great.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My friend has one and she isn't getting rid of it anytime soon, but she does say that the point at the end sometimes pokes her...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:33 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'm not a fan of intrauterine devices. They are too difficult to place properly and women frequently have problems with them. They are expensive... that's why doctors like them, they see you once and make hundreds of dollars on it.

The pros I see are it's semi-permanent, doesn't interfere with spontinaity, doesn't have to be remembered, etc. But because it contains hormones it still raises your risk of heart attack and stroke, breast cancer, etc. Especially after age 35.

What about the copper T IUD?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• He said that my ins. will not pay for the cooper one. In less I have a reaction to this one first.
    SonjaNash

Comment by SonjaNash (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I had it, and it was God awful! I bled from March when I had it put in..painful...until July when finally after 10 infections and non stop bleeding I had had enough.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• See so far no PROs I don't know about it
    SonjaNash

Comment by SonjaNash (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I didn't have mirena but the other IUD with no hormones. Getting it inserted was somewhat uncomfortable, but not painful. I didn't really have any side effects. I loved it. There were no pills to remember, no mess and bother like barrier methods.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I did the marina and i had it out after 9 month i felt pg all the time i was always worried it was going to fall out,,,,i am going on the no hormone one after i have this baby i liked that i had no chance of having one i think it might have been the hormones the drove me crazy lol
    shannonmcgeehen

Answer by shannonmcgeehen at 10:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2011