disrespect

What are some ways of helping a tween/teenager stop disrespectful-snotty talk to their parents mostly their Mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Taking their things away, grounding etc. Waiting for them to become 20. I dont know but if you find a cure let me know. In fact, let us all know you might become a millionaire or savior lol.

Answer by gemgem at 11:27 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• punishment in the form of privileges taken away.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 11:28 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• All children, no matter their age, have things they love and would die without. I would simply talk to them and explain that being disrespectful is unacceptable and will no longer be permitted. Explain exactly what you mean by disrespect, because that is different for everyone. And if it happens, you lose whatever it is. My son is 13 and the first to go would be the wii, then the cell phone. If they know you are serious, they will get with the program
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Remember that when they come to you wanting ANYTHING!!! Just tell them you're sorry, but you are disinclined to acquiesce to their requests until they are able to show you some respect all day every day!!!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:31 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Stopping in their tracks and saying I will not tolerated that. Making them apologize to you. Then taking it out after they calm down.
    ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 11:42 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Agree with parajumper3. You might post the rules of the house too and being respectful is #1
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Do you talk respectfully to your kids and your husband? My kids are never disrespectful (ok hardly ever), I think it's a learned habit.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• If you let it pass from the get go, they go on a spree of disrespect. You put a stop of it by given them consequences for their actions.

Answer by older at 3:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'm not necessarily the one to believe in loss of privelages. It depends on the severity of the problem...

It just causes a lot of tension between child and parent, and can end up causing a lot of bottled up agression in the long run.

Do you live close to a lifeworks center? They offer very good counseling, and talk to you about parenting methods that please both child and parent. (agreement of fairness that is)

ChelseATX

Answer by ChelseATX at 4:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Respect them. Respect is a 2 way street. Look at how you talk to them, how you treat them. Don't respond to the disrespect, take everything but their bed and clothes away and then they earn it back item by item by being respectful. I never tolerated disrespect and my son learned that from a young age but I also respected him, his feelings, wants and needs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2011