hyper dog

My Golden is 2 and a half. He tends to be very hyper and is bad about jumping up on people. Will getting him fixed help with this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Pets

• No. He needs training.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It will help a little. But what he really needs is training and exercise. Golden Retrievers were bred to have energy and need an hour long walk a day to keep them satisfied.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:31 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• He probably just needs training. My dog used to do the same thing and he's as big as a small horse so it was a problem. He eventually learned not to do that to people through simple commands and treats.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 11:31 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I agree, he needs to learn manners. Goldens are very receptive to good training, so you should have good luck here!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Hyper breed, but they're wonderful! He'll learn manners quickly, though he'll probably always be a bit hyper.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:47 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Having him neutered might help some but that does not always calm them down. Goldens are a very social breed ( I had one) and love to be in your face. One thing you can do to stop the jumping is when he jumps up turn your back, don't look at him,talk to him or touch him. That is what he wants most it. One other thing you can do is teach him to sit when he approaches people. I use treats, keep them low so that you are not incouraging jumping and lure him towards you. As he approaches ask him to sit. You can do this when people come over as well. But you might use a leash to have added control. You can step on the leash also so that he corrects himself when he goes to jump. As far as the hyperness, he may not be getting enough excersise or stimulation in other ways. Some dogs just need jobs something to keep them busy. I have a lab mix that is almost 7 years old and a spaz if he does not get enough excersise.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I run Beau with my bike pretty much every day, walk him and in the summer he goes swimming alot.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Neutering your dog might decrease some of his dominant behavior, since that is often increased with higher levels of testosterone, therefore making him appear a little less hyper or pushy. But keep in mind it can take weeks for the testosterone levels to clear the blood stream, so a change in attitude will not be effective immediately. Plus some of the annoying behaviors, like jumping all over might be enjoyable to him, and have just become a bad habit-like nail biting- at this point.

Most often, a testosterone decrease will make a dog more manageable, and easier to train and handle. Most likely, he will follow your directions better, and perform a sit stay or down stay for you with less struggle. And you might notice he is more settled. His energy level may or may not be affected by the surgery though. Most non-neutered dogs will run away too, so that is another behavior you might avoid with neutering.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• training is whathe needs
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:24 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It may but again it may not. Fixing him and tranining can help.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2011