The talk

Have you told your tween or teen about oral sex? When did you and what did you say? Did you go into much detail?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I never did. I probably should have so they would know of the STD issue.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Honestly, It was horribly awkward when my parents approached me about the issue... If there was a more mutual way to put things, it would be a good idea. You can never be to aware of STD's and its many forms.

A lot of teens actually don't know that you can get STD's from it!
    ChelseATX

Answer by ChelseATX at 4:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My son is 17 (see my post) and we talked about it when he was 13. I just told him that while no, a girl can't get pregnant that way, you can get STDs and AIDS. Other then that, I told him that it should only be done within a serious relationship and that some girls will do it, some won't but he should never make a girl feel like she should, that is her choice.
    Anonymous

• We have discussed it, and I stress condoms for ALL sexual contact

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I have had that talk and was just honest and answered his questions. He also had that talk in health class last year (8th grade) or the year before.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• We've had the talk with both kids, but not specifically about oral sex. Luckily, both kids are open to talk about it with us and many times at the dinner table they have asked us questions. I think I'm lucky that we have kids that are comfortable talking with us.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I talked to my kids about all sexual acts by the time they were 10. I didn't go into MAJOR detail until they were older, around 14. It is important they learn these things at home instead of from friends and TV and such. I was very relaxed when I talked to them, we talked on my bed with snacks and such and kept it very informal. You want that particular subject matter to be open and honest with your kids so they know they can always come to you.
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 10:41 AM on Feb. 1, 2011