Run Forest run!

If your teenager was at a house party. The police came and people ran. Would tell them in hindsight to run or to stay. The kid wasn't drinking but was left at the house without parents, with alcohol on the premises. Could possibly be in trouble for tresspassing or breaking an entering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• that's a tough one. If the child had done nothing wrong (no drinking), why run? Then again, as you say, they'd be THERE, and there'd be alcohol on hand, but if he wasn't drunk, could they really do something to him or charge him with something? if the police came I would imagine they'd know there was a party, so I don't see how they could get them for breaking and entering...
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 12:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Wrong place wrong time. Apparantly the kid left the house and claims he didn't know anyone was there and told people he would be back and went to dinner with his step mom and dad. So, case of he said ,he said. His other parent was out of town who owned the house. Definitely shouldn't have been there but makes you sad that you have to tell your kid to run!!! Don't do the right thing. They stayed because a kid was left intoxicated. Thats what you get for caring.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• and yes if they are 17 and the parent wants to press charges.....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• well, sadly, where I live, the police are sooo corrupt, yes, you are better off running anyway! :(
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 12:37 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• 1) the original question... I would NEVER tell my child to run from the police. I would tell my child if they were at a party where there was underage drinking and they got caught... they take what they get for being stupid and being in a place they know they shouldnt be. Yes, I would suggest they offer up a blood and/or breath test to confirm they were not drinking... but still if you lie with dogs you get fleas.

2) the second thing the OP said was that it was HIS HOUSE (not mentioned in the original post). Again, you dont run from the police. It was HIS responsiblity to CALL the police if it was at his house. And his ass would be grass if this happened. Doesnt matter if he was home... he told people there was an empty house. He is 100% at fault even if sober.

3) Belovedmoonpixi - you sound like a small town girl. the police are NOT all corrupt and I would NEVER tell a child to disobey the law or to run from it.
    Anonymous

• Yes hard lessons learned. I have taught don't run. But alot of people do tell them to do that. Hopefully, they can switch what dogs they run with.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• i'd say stay. as long as YOU know the truth, whatever else happens happens. wrong place at the wrong time. and they'll learn their lesson lol
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 4:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Whether we like it or not, there's a thing called "guilt by association."

Meaning, no matter if you did anything or not, you'll still get in trouble from whatever it is your peers are doing.

Sure, It's irresponsible to run away from the issue, but would you want a flaw on your child's record?

Just teach them to be honest with you and work things out from there.
    ChelseATX

Answer by ChelseATX at 4:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Don't believe in running. Yes guilt by association to an extent. I know a person who stole something does that mean I am a thief too?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2011