Update on my son wants to be a cheerleader, the try-outs are over!

First of all I want to thank all of you for supporting my 6 year old in wanting to be a cheerleader, as you know his father and I went round and round over it. I had to work the day of tryouts, and my husband had to take him, and yes he was the only boy (but he knew he probably would be) They practiced for about 5 hours,, my husband didn't stay for that part, then they had a performance at the end in front of about 500 people who were there for a basketball tournament,,,well DS did great durning the practice, but when the performance came, he froze (i think because his Dad was watching)! So, he did not make the squad, but when I got home, he showed me the routine and all the jumps he learned, He was really good,, I asked if he was upset, and he sain No mommy,, I just wanted to try. The coach called me and said she was really impressed with him, so now we are going to enroll him in gymnastics,,, I guess I will gear up for the fight with my hubby for next year,, LOL! My son said, he is for sure going to try it again LOL! Thanks mommas!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 11:49 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sounds like he handled it well! Great learning experience and now something else to work for!

I realized after my first son was born that kids ARE WHO THEY ARE.....my dh is a huge ball playing nut...any type of sports is his thing and he is good at it....he wanted son to be that way too....

But my son is just flat out not like dh! He is very much into bugs, animals, science....he would much rather dig in the dirt to identify bug types than bounce any ball.

Thankfully, dh has realized this as well and we are all on the same page and support his love of nature!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Ah, that's sucks!I wish he made it. Good for him for trying out though! Good Luck next year!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Sorry he didnt make it but it sounds like he had a lot of fun! And i am so glad that his little heart didnt get broken....Good luck next year!!!!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:52 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Well, congrats to your son, he did not let the "what will they say" interfere with him trying to achieve something he wants. Congrats to Dad, too, for doing something he was clearly uncomfortable with just because his son really wanted to try, and, congrats to you for convincing him! YAY!
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 11:53 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Yay!! It is so great that he actually tried out. Gymnastics will be so good for him!!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Well he did his best, and that's all that matters. Gymnastics are a very good sport for children, it's good exercise and will get him more flexible. I suggested tap dancing classes in your previous post since he enjoys dancing. Tap dancing burns up A LOT of energy and it is a lot of fun.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It gives him a goal to work toward. That's good. He's not just giving up bc he didn't get on the squad.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Sounds like he did a great job. Atleast he is not heart broken over it. Sounds like gymnastics will be good for him.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Sounds like your son is an amazing little boy and really knows what he wants and that is a great quality!! Good Job MOMMY!!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• So happy he had fun! Thanks for the update!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011