Nutrition expert says put butter in everything my child eats?!

My little girl is under weight and was put on peidasure by her doctor and now has to go see a "nutrition expert". At our last visit she informed my husband that he needs to put butter in everything she eats. On bread, in veggies, oatmeal, and anywhere else we can put it. Personally, I feel that in the long run, this will cause more heath problems than it will solve. And I'm very concerned... I'm going to talk to her doctor about it next week, but I wanted to post here and see what other moms though of this...

Amayawolf

Asked by Amayawolf at 11:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• How underweight is she? If she's not taking in enough calories, that's a huge health risk, depending on her age. If they need you to put weight on her NOW, I would rotate between butter where necessary and use the much heart healthier olive oil where ever possible. This is not a permanent change, just to alleviate a problem.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:54 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would definitely get a second opinion before "buttering up" all of my childs food so I commend you for that one.  What health problems is she having now by being underweight?  Keep us updated!  I am curious as to what your Dr. will say about this one.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Peanut butter has a high fat content which is why they tell you that since your daughter is underweight. What is her age, weight and height? Your doctor is not going to be able to help you in that dept. Call the "nutrition expert" and ask them what else you can give. If the "expert" is employed by WIC take their advice with a grain of salt.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would get a second opinion and see another nutritionist before putting butter in all of your child's food.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It sounds like a bad idea to me. I think she should still eat healthy but allow fats in her foods. Give her whole milk, plenty of protien and whole fat cheese. I dont think its any reason to pig out on unhealthy fats though...the idea is to be healthy!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I wouldn't want to put butter on everything my kids eat. Is she that underweight? I didn't see her age but I would think it would be better to use higher fat/ calorie foods like nuts, peanutbutter.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I assume that she has had tests etc.. done to find out why she is underweight. How much does she need to gain, it sounds like an odd thing to do when there are plenty of high calorie/good fat foods to eat. I should know because I love them,, lol! I would discuss this with my doctor,,I mean whole milk cottage cheese, regular cheese, pasta, idk I have never heard of this before! Let us know what the doctor says!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• When we brought our grandson home he was 1 week from his first birthday and weighed 14 lbs. Adding butter was EXACTLY what the dietician told us to do. Children under 2 that have a diet deficient in fats are susceptable to brain damage. Their bodies NEED that fat to develope brain and nervous system functions. It is NOT going to hurt your child. NOT doing it will hurt her. It sounded strange to me too, until I asked for complete explanation of WHY. My grandson was on a high fat diet for a solid year. He is now doing well. He is speech delayed and fine and gross motor delayeds...all diagnosed as caused by malnutrition in his first year of life.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My daughter is two years old and weighs 27.6 lbs, Last time I talked to her doctor she said that her weight was almost up to the normal weight for her age. So I don't think she needs the extra help...
    Amayawolf

Comment by Amayawolf (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'd use real butter not margarine but it's that she needs the fat. My dd's doctor had me give her lots of milk shakes and ice cream to fatten her up

Answer by admckenzie at 12:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2011