What is one thing you wished someone had told you about pregnancy, child birth, or bringing home baby?

I've read about symptoms of pregnancy no one tells you about but now I'm just wondering about the other parts of having a child that youre not usually told but wish that someone had told you.

missmay5

Asked by missmay5 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sometimes we have to let go of our idea of the perfect delivery in order to keep baby safe.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• All the pain. I was told child birth was simple and not very painful...yeah right...
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• For me personally, that my Mother would be ZERO help at all in any way. In general, that the infant time is not the hardest, it gets harder when the child starts to walk & gets a mind of their own. But they are all great years. :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• how bad the moodiness is. the fact most of the time the baby never comes on time.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 11:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Don't buy so many newborn clothes!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• That you may feel sad and alone and lost. Its normal and you are not weird or strange for feeling that way.

I felt like I was the ONLY one in the room sometimes.

Also that well meaning family (especially inlaws) would drive me insane and make all those feelings even worse!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• How bad the food was going to be.
    CristinaC1014

Answer by CristinaC1014 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I have a whole listb

A. If your having a baby boy who is going to be circumised (aka me) stock up on vaseline and medical sqaures BEFORE you come home
    B. If your going to use a pacifier, dont let them get used to the green one at the hospital its way to big for them to hold and you get stuck holding it, plus never buy pacifiers with alot of holes, it gives them gas
    C. If the bassinet/crib mattress is new, make sure you wear it in before you get home, my son got used to the bassinet at the hospital that was worn in and didnt sleep a whole week in the bassinet until we figured out it was too hard cuz it was new
    D. A hot water container (it heats up water and you can dispense it) is absolutely amazing if you use formula, no more waiting for water to boil and it takes seconds) I also used it to warm the bottles up in by lifting the lid that way it was preboiled water and i didnt have to wait or worry about water too hot
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 1:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• E. Dont worry as much as i did on laundry and other stuff, it will get done when it gets done, dont run yourself ragged
    F. Be prepared for some slight choking when the baby first comes home he/she will still have a tiny bit of amnotic fluid that they are coughing up, i flipped out the first time and started doing choking baby precautions until my mom told me what was going on lol
    G. I dont know how, but try to find an easier way to sterilze stuff, i spent half my life in the kitchen sterilizing over the stove
    H. If your going to use glass bottles, be careful they break and crack, i used gerber, and ill never use them again
    I. Be prepared to have no sleep what so ever, so when someone offers to let you take a nap, TAKE IT
    J. Enjoy your time with your new baby
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 1:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• We had so many newborn clothes and diapers. When my baby was born she was 9 lbs. 2 oz. We wasted alot on newborn stuff. I have heard even "regular" 7lb babies outgrown newborn stuff quickly too (AFTER the fact.. lol)
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 6:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2011