What do you do to get an ADHD child to rest?

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 12:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• One of the only things that would calm my grandson was drawing, pencil or crayons. He also spent a few quiet minutes watching the fish. We had a large tank. Upsidedown cats, glass cats, different pretty ones. We had to make him stop, look at my eyes when I'm talking to you. We had to practice stopping, breathing slow breaths. No sugar, no caffine. Watch how much sugar-free stuff you give him. Too much Sorbital will give the runs. lol. He finally outgrew it, or learned total control. You have to be constant ,consistant. Every one in the family and his teachers worked with him. We did NOT put him on medication. The school wanted us to and tried to force us. I flat refused. Glad I did. I've seen too many kids act like little Zombies.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Give him/her a couple of cups of strong BLACK coffee....no milk, cream or sugar.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Take a drive in the car. Being in a seatbelt makes him calm down.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• See that they're getting plenty of exercise when they're up and about . Caffeine can certainly calm an ADD child, but there's so much about it that's so bad for the body, I wouldn't want to take that route routinely.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2011