labor question.....

i have had several bouts of false labor in the last week or so, but lastnight i assumed it was the real thing. everything i have read and my past births told me that i was in labor. my contractions got down to 3 minutes apart and were pretty painful just not enough to go to the hospital yet. and then after 3 full hours it just stopped! so my question is was it false labor or can true labor start and then stop after several hours?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 12:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Well when I went into labor at 28 weeks with my daughter, they said it was real labor but it stopped and they just sent me home. I didn't go into active labor until 10 weeks later.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Good question. There is NO SUCH THING AS FALSE LABOR. Every contraction you're feeling is doing something. A much better term for it is "prelabor" which simply means that it is not quite yet ready to lead to birth, but it is still working on bringing your baby down and may even be opening up your cervix. Yup, labor can stop, and while it might be frustrating, it can actually be kind of nice, because the work is spread out and you get a break in between. With several episodes of start-stop prelabor like you're having, there is a good chance that when you go into active labor, it will go faster because you are already dilating. That's no guarantee, but see it as a positive thing!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• ME TOO ME TOO!!! I am 38 weeks 4 days today...

But when I was 36 weeks I started having contractions about 5--6 min apart....diarreah, backache, went to hospital they said I was in labor...gave me brethine to stop contractions...it just made them irregular.

Then Sat....same thing...contracitons about 3-4 min apart...some were REALLY painful.....crampy diarreah....said it was real labor but VERY early along...I am 2 cm dilated.

But sent me home so I could labor early part at home.....contractions faded and died out...on their own. I am still having contractions but they are irregular and not as strong????? AAAAAHHHHH!!

I KNOW YOUR PAIN!!! My vagina feels like someone drop kicked it! Seriously hard to even walk sometimes it is so sore and hurting!

WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO!!! lol....I want my little girl out safe and sound!! Mica Elise :) Is yours a boy or girl...what is the name...have you chosen one?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• i has start and stop labor with my youngest two and they both came out a month early
    hdemom2011

Answer by hdemom2011 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Well, it is false in the sense that you didn't progress to the point of having a baby right then, but your body is still getting ready for the task ahead. I was like this for 5 weeks with my second child. It was kind of annoying and not very restful because I couldn't help but get all excited and think that the time was near.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:31 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• when i went into labor i was overdue but my contractions weren't painful when i was contracting every 2 minutes. they didn't get painful until i was dilated at a 5. im not sure but i dont think you can start and stop real labor without meds, but im not sure.
    92210love

Answer by 92210love at 2:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• i am havinga boy and his name is Simon Allistair Kael. and thanks everyone for oyur answers...im just getting frustrated because im DONE being pregnant. i thought it was time and then it stopped.
    cassie_m

Comment by cassie_m (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2011