can any mummys out there tell me more about umbilical hernias and the operation on a very small baby (6 weeks )

my son had an umbilical hernia and it is a big one , i just got told yesterday he will need an operation in a few weeks im booking the date on friday. im just scared of what it involves. usualy they like to wait to operate til the babys gets about school age or even later but because my sons is big they want to do it now.they have also warned because hes a baby he will have a big scar on his belly. he was not premature or a twin he was a healthy 7lb4oz so the hernias just random lol. any help or anyone whos been through this op id love to hear from.

mystic-monkey

Asked by mystic-monkey at 8:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My babies never had one but I did when I was a baby. Mine you can't even tell now that I had it- I was a baby when it got fixed too. So sorry that you have to go through this (and baby). Hope all goes well which I am sure it will. :)
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 8:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My son had one but they wouldn't operate until he was 3. I am surprised they are operating that young! A lot of times they'll heal on their own. The surgery was a same day surgery, not a huge deal. I would get a 2nd opinion
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• my son had one and it went away on its own so we never had surgery i didnt think they did it till the child was older for that reason my hubby had one and had surgery at 7 or 8 and now doesnt really have a belly button good luck and with time the scar wont be so noticeable
    hedtrippe

Answer by hedtrippe at 7:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Surgery?!? I have two girls, both with umbilical hernias. My first ped wanted to do surgery on my daughter so I fired him and my new ped. said it would heal on its own and wouldent even think about surgery until they were like 2 years or older. My two year old had a BAD hernia and now its almost non existant. My 3 month olds isint as bad as hers but still pretty big, as long as you can push on it a little and it goes back in then there fine. Also my two year olds didnt fully close up until she was like 8 or nine months, every time I put her in her car seat it would put pressure on it and a little flesh would poke out (EWW) so keep them out of the carseat as much as possible or loosen there diaper when you do have them in the carseat....sorry this is so long! Good luck! Message me if theres anything I can do......
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 10:03 AM on Nov. 16, 2008