Are Catholics already Christians??

I'm so confused, If you're Catholic does that mean you're a Christian?? Are they 2 separate religions or the same?

Btw, I'm Christian.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Definition of CHRISTIANITY
    1: the religion derived from Jesus Christ, based on the Bible as sacred scripture, and professed by Eastern, Roman Catholic, and Protestant bodies
    2: conformity to the Christian religion
    3: the practice of Christianity
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• YES. Catholic is merely a Christian denomination, same as Protestant, Baptist, Lutheran, Mormon, Jehovah's Witness, etc. ALL different denominations of Christians.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• There are many Christian denominations, and Catholicism is 1 of those groups. So Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I was told they were different and I was brought up Catholic. They both having very different teachings. Hell my old church, some of the leaders in the classes made fun of Christian teachings. One reason I left. I didn't feel it was right to trash another religion, especially in church.
    Anonymous

• All churches orginate from the Roman catholic church, the first and, at the time, the only church. Before that there were only Jewish and pagan temples. They spread christianity by FORCE throughout the entire Roman empire. You and I would be dancing in stonehenges and worshipping the amazing universe if it hadn't been for the catholic church invading our lands and turning us christian by the point of a sword. Peter, the follower of Jesus, was the first pope. As Jesus, himself, said "The rock on which I build my church." There are old resentments there. Every offshoot religion has tried to make their mother church, the catholic church, "not" christian in order to validate their own beliefs. But they can't rewrite history.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Its just a different denomination that teaches the same concept. That only through Jesus and accepting him can you go to heaven. I was raised Catholic, then went to Christian churches as a teen. I am Catholic again now.

Answer by gemgem at 12:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Yes, Catholics ARE Christians. The denominations differ in their interpretations of The Word and evenin which books make up the true Bible... but they all profess the same belief in accepting Christ as their Saviour.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• – collapse
    Witchqueen is correct, I just looked it up. So doesn't that mean ALL CHRISTIANS ARE CATHOLICS?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• In order to be a Christian, one must proclaim Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior... Catholics do just that, and are therefore Christian. To say one is Catholic is no different than saying one is Baptist or Presbyterian, etc. A little common sense goes a loooong way, and I wish people like the first poster would use some.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Anon- first. Why are you posting that anonomously?

Second, no. Just because Christianity started as Catholicism doesn't mean that everyone who is a a Christian is a Catholic. That would be assuming that everyone who loves to drink loves beer. It was the first alcohol. Every other alcoholic beverage came after beer and because of it.

The Catholic church was the first interpretation of Christianity- that doesn't mean that people could have changed they way they practice and believe since then.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2011